Finishing furniture backs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys,

I'd just like to hear your opinions on the boxing in options of mid - higher end furniture, namely the back face which is sat up against a wall on items such as TV stands/cabinets, media unit, drawer units etc.

Most cheap(ish) furniture I've made for various room in my house, such as chest of drawers and wardrobes that I'd always planned to be painted, had been finished in hardwood ply, which I think looks fine once painted (especially when you'll never see it as it's up against a wall).

I've also bought furniture in the past which has flimsy hardboard backing and some higher end stuff which had no back at all. Obviously the no back at all option isn't suitable for certain furniture such as a chest of drawers for example.

The reason I ask is because I want to have a go at making some higher end stuff for some friends who hope to have their house renovation completed by the summer. They told me they love the look of darker woods such as walnut and dark stained oak and they've agreed to cover the cost of materials + a bit as a thankyou. I thought this might be a good way to complete a few more projects without having to pay from my own pocket for the materials - since I'm a hobbyist and this isn't my method of generating income, material costs are a big thing for me.

So what would you do?

I'm thinking a Walnut bedroom furniture set - Chest of Drawers, bedside tables, maybe a wardrobe... and for downstairs I'm thinking a TV unit and perhaps a bookcase or some sort of shelving unit, maybe in oak.

How would you finish the backs of these? Is solid wood of the same species/thickness/finish the only way to go?

Tom.
Hi there, if it was me and it was for a paying customer i would use the same timber as main construction, otherwise veneered MDF or Ply
hope this helps

Might be a bit off topic, as WoodyPK is seemingly OK with modern day slavery,
regarding HIS/HER own time,effort, and risking the WoodyPK name,
as the projects intended to be a learning experience for someone else who doesn't appear to place any or much value on workmanship,
If they truly are that mean, I would be wanting to know what they expect in regards to the back of the piece(s)
One could assume they are clueless, or you have came across that you can do it in your factory easily in a day.

Is it up to us to keep doing it the traditional way for authenticity though?

I would think the average buyer of handmade furniture is always right, and that they would expect the highest standard in freestanding peices, otherwise why not go to Ikea/OFL.

You could argue its a nod to tradition, but with the advancement of technology,
has the goal posts not moved?

One could counter argue with this though, and suggest old methods are still valid as environmental impact needs to be considered nowadays.

What say ye, about this
Thanks
Tom

Ttrees, I like your reply, It sounds like something I'd say if I were you and you were me. Alas... We are not.

But tell me, why does and artist put so much effort, days of their time, countless hours into a piece of art that may ultimately mean diddly to all but themselves?

I'm not saying I'm an artist. About as far from one in fact...

But just because you could charge someone £1000s for a one-off furniture set doesn't mean you have to.

I'm an amateur, a hobbyist. I enjoy making things and If I can make something half decent, I will try. Much for the enjoyment of doing something that I really like to do if not for any other reason. If someone looked at some furniture I built and told me "Jeeze, you undercharged for that" then I would silently give myself a pat on the back and think I'd done a good job.

I'm relatively new to furniture making so I just wanted to know what was the best way around finishing off furniture at the back where you are unlikely to spend much, if any time looking at.

From what I've read, a glued frame, rebated in with a floating panel seems to be the way to go. I think this will look good too and finish it off nicely.

Does anyone have a supplier for veneered MDF/Ply they'd be happy to recommend.

Thanks again for the replies.

as per my earlier post it contains a link to a supplier with what I think is the biggest choice of veneer finishes in the uk

Thanks Droogs, I did look at that yesterday. I don't recall it having pricings displayed. I'll send them a message and see if they can get back to me with some prices for what I'm looking for.

The Shakers had one answer to the “why” question, George Mallory had another, if you truly don’t understand why anyone takes pride in their work, I actually feel quite sorry for you, but then I spend my life surrounded by people that think and live that way.

As for veneered board, there are many suppliers, what are you after? A lovely job would be to veneer it in the same material as the rest of the cabinet, so buy a substrate like MRMDF and use the scrappier of your veneers you’ve not used on your show faces, or cedar if you like the smell.

Aidan

The Shakers had one answer to the “why” question, George Mallory had another, if you truly don’t understand why anyone takes pride in their work, I actually feel quite sorry for you, but then I spend my life surrounded by people that think and live that way.

As for veneered board, there are many suppliers, what are you after? A lovely job would be to veneer it in the same material as the rest of the cabinet, so buy a substrate like MRMDF and use the scrappier of your veneers you’ve not used on your show faces, or cedar if you like the smell.

Aidan

That is my point exactly, Aidan. Why would I go to these lengths? Trying to create a quality product for someone with minimal compensation...

The answer is because I can (or I will do my best to try) and because I want to. Because I enjoy making things.

I think I was looking down the lines of purchasing a veneered MDF (or ply?) board rather than veneering it myself.

Tom

I think you didn’t quite make your point when you expressed it as a question!
Anyway, crack on and do it to your way and enjoy the process.

Veneered MDF is more common and available than ply, especially with both sides veneered, depending on what you want it’s available from almost all timber merchants to requiring a custom made to order panel from a handful of suppliers in the uk

Aidan

I think you didn’t quite make your point when you expressed it as a question!

Aidan, I thought my point was made just by asking the question. I didn't think I would need to provide the answer to a question I thought was so obvious...

It doesn't matter anyway. If I choose to spend hours making something for someone else who "doesn't appear to place any or much value on workmanship". That's fine. Because I do and I will remember the time I made that piece. And as long as it means something to me, that's enough for me.

Back to the job at hand....

I think I'll go with a veneered MDF in a frame and I'll do some digging with some places near me.

Thanks guys.

Hello again,
I hope I didn't give you an impression that this project was a waste of your time.
Just a bit of slavery is all.
I have never sold anything, or the likes, so have no input really.
As a hobbyist, this is art as far as I'm concerned.

Whatever you choose since this project is for your pro folio ONLY...
and your pro folio may get more attention that you might think.
Make it well like it was going in your house, (pretend you have the wealth of the clientele you would aspire to sell to)
Bad news travels faster and further than good news.
Maybe not as much with furniture as with say guitars, but you never know.
You gotta be happy with it.

Good luck and more power to your elbow!
Tom

Back