Fine Filter bags for dust extractors.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murrayeast

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Been a while since i posted anything on here but i have been lurking!

My situation is this. I have moved my machinery into a much smaller space than i was intending! Although most of it fits, i am still trying to work out the best option regarding dust extraction.

I want a fully ducted system for all machines. problem is this. I have an Axminster ADE4000 twin bag for the P/T and Spindle and a P&J fine dust extractor that i wanted to use for the fine dust producing machines. My problem is the space the P&J takes up about 800mm X 800mm by700 is high, and i could do without it! Axminster now say that they do a 1 micron bag for the extractor instead of the canister type. At £48.82 per bag instead of £142 are they any good? has anyone used them?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axmi ... -23251.htm

any help would be appreciated. If they are no good i will have to try and shoehorn in the P&J!

Thanks
Murray

forgive my ignorance Murray, but what's a P&J?

Wizer,

Its the company that made it! Ironically they are based in Kent! A lot of educational establishments use them, and they seem to be good extractors.

Murray

could the extractors not be housed outside the workshop in a kind of lean-to shed.

Wizer,

Indeed this is a possibility. However, I don't really fancy cutting a hole through the floor of the container.
Its not the ideal shape for a workshop being long and norrow, but i think i have come up with a layout which Almost works. Just the extraction thats causing the bother!

When I find the lead to my camera I will post a few pics.

Murray.

hi paul
i was looking at that extractor for my saw
whats the suction like?
it looks a good price at the moment
cheers
chris

Pinky,

In many cases they question is more like 'what is your saw like for dust extraction'?

They tend to have so many air gaps such as around the blade depth adjuster that only a small fraction of the suction is available to draw dust down through the table.
I was only look at my xcaliber TS yesterday for inspiration on closing the gaps to improve extraction.

Bob

pinkyinboro":209m0t0o said:
hi paul
i was looking at that extractor for my saw
whats the suction like?
it looks a good price at the moment
cheers
chris
its got two independent motors so you can use just one for general suction and both when planing / thicknessing, which i find very useful.

One thing that surprised me was the heat it can output, in the winter after having both motors on for 20 minutes it heats the whole workshop up

Haven't got any complaints about it so can heartily recommend it, and like you said its on for a good price at the moment, if you do decide to buy it make sure you get the extra 10% off thats valid til Jan 4th (on all axminster goods except festool).

9fingers":21atoti7 said:
Pinky,

In many cases they question is more like 'what is your saw like for dust extraction'?

They tend to have so many air gaps such as around the blade depth adjuster that only a small fraction of the suction is available to draw dust down through the table.
I was only look at my xcaliber TS yesterday for inspiration on closing the gaps to improve extraction.

Bob

I've been looking at the same thing myself, though odly enough, when I switch the saw on it starts to inflate the extractor bags so it's got quite a bit of output on its own, however the dust extraction isn't that great and a lot gets left underneath the saw, there must be a lot of turbulence trapping the dust.

I'm going to try something with my planer someday where the hood has a pair of articulated hoses to act as table extractors when thicknessing as well as the main outlet which should pick up what the hood extractor doesn't

Aidan

9fingers":34he881w said:
Pinky,

Bob

Yes this is true. It is a Startrite 10" machine, and actually is really quite good. When I have connected it to the ADE4000 the dust certainly is pulled away well. What I am trying to avoid is the fine dust being redistributed into the air which I will be breathing! thats why I have the fine dust extractor which should take care of it but is causing a headache regarding space. I am trying to come up with a cheaper alternative to buying the 1 micron filters from Axminster which will set me back nearly £300!! Buying a new machine such as the one suggested would work but would still take up the space and be costly!

One thought I have had was to get hold of some of the filter fabric used to make the bags and to box in the extractor with the fabric as an air outlet?

Murray

Murray,

You could consider building a cyclone. Still need the filters but I don't think they are too expensive. I think there is a ebay seller doing them.

There is a video of my set up here which is the Barry Burgess (RIP) prototype. you will find lots of details in the archive of this forum in the latter half of 2006 approx.

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n313 ... i_0217.flv

You could still use the blower from your ADE4000 but if you have some roof space like I have, the cyclone design means the blower and filters can be more remote from the source of the dust. My dust collection bin occupies less than 18" square of floor space.

Let me know if you are interested in more details.

Bob

Latest posts

Back