Finding a metal worker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to track down someone to make a beskpoke shower curtain rail and also some custom galvanised metalwork for something in my garden. Not having much luck on Yell, therefore, after some search terms to try.

Already done:
metalworker
metal fabricator

I'm sure I am missing some obvious terms - they're just not coming to mind...

Cheers

If I can't do it myself there is a forge in the village and another one a few miles away. And never had a job finding someone to make up anything I needed be it steel, ali, stainless etc

Have a look at the following

Metal worker (with a gap)
Architectural metal workers
Blacksmith & forgemasters
Wrought Ironwork
Steel fabricators
Gates & railings

Hopefully Hitch (Hitachi mad) will answer as he is a steel fabricator and may be able to help if you are in his part of the world.

Jason

Thanks, Hitch. I'll bear your kind offer in mind. The garden thingy may be more viable over the Kent to Plymouth distance than the shower rail.

I was planning to make a mock up of the shower rail using 1/2" copper pipe because it needs to follow a very precise shape (and not one that is easy to illustrate and measure). This being the case, sending the template in the first place adds to the cost. Nevertheless, I'll not rule it out entirely at this stage.

The garden thingy, on the other hand... I have a pond which is surrounded by a short fence. I want to suspend a net over it to stop the leaves falling in. I propose to screw hooks in to the (short surrounding fence) fence posts and attach the net via some bungee cord. Then, I want to raise the centre of the net so that the leaves fall off - a bit like a tent. It's the centre that needs the metal work. I want a rod that slots (so it can be removed) in to a bracket on a fence post (which is part of a nearby taller fence) and then curves out over the pond so I can hook the centre to it. A bit like fishing rod. I'm picturing a length of galvenised rod with a hook on one end. I anticipate a degree of flexability so that the net is held up but the rod is not so rigid that it does not allow some give. The only issue that I am unsure about is the carriage for such an item. It would be quite long (2-3 metres possibly) which I think means that it would have to be a carrier rather than Parcel Post. The other thought that has just occured to me... Perhaps I could get hold of the rod and bend it myself, thus only needing a suitable galvenised bracket?

Would be grateful for your thoughts.

Thanks again.

Hi Matt.

The shower rail, sound like it would be easier to find someone local, how big/what shape would it be roughly?

The net hook thingy, a 3m length of small diameter bar would be a nightmare to galvanise, it would end up all kinds of funny shapes, plus you would have to have a way to hang it in the tank... i think stainless would be easier, and may even work out cheaper in the long run...

Due to it being 3m long would be a pain to send...

I could make brackets and a hook, to fit on the end, and leave you to get the length of bar...

Like this, or similar...

pond.jpg

Galv metal is not a good thing to have around the pond as the metals can leach into the water especially if pond treatments are used.

Jason

Thanks for the tip-off Jason. I don't use any treatments and the metal will not come in to contact with the water. The only risk is rainwater dripping off the metal in to the water.

Should be OK with that small amount of contact.

What you really need is a swimming pool type surface skimmer, I've got one on my pond and it just sucks all the surface debris into a basket that can be emptied :D

Jason

Back