Findable pencils

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rounded up all the stray pencils in my workshop earlier and had a mammoth sharpening session 32 in total.
I have 4 tape measures in the workshop and its amazing how one minute i have one in each pocket and the
next i'm scratching about trying to lay my hands on one.
Once the other half commented " how many tapes does a bloke need" never enough was my reply.

I'm writing rules to go on the back of the workshop door for leaving.
1. empty your pockets
2. replace all pencils in pot above workbench
3. put all screws back in right place
4. check tapes are on the wall
5. check pockets again
6. switch lights off
7. check pockets again.

it's getting easier to find pencils these days. :)

(oh and sticking a pencil in the drill and running it on the belt sander is a wonderful way to sharpen)

Hang on.... What's ''AUTOMATIC'' about a pencil sharpener you have to hold with one hand and crank with the other hand?

I'd want it to find the damn pencils, sharpen them, then place them strategically around the garage... Now THAT is automatic. :-D

davin":2znvh52l said:
They are probably in the same black hole that 3mm drill bits and countersinks go to, If I dangled a magnet around the back of our washing machine I am sure they would all be there, wouldn't work for pencils though.
I was going to patent my pencil idea, I taped a piece of Velcro around a pencil, then glued a corresponding piece to my ear defenders, worked for about two minutes then I put my pencil (with Velcro) down and never found it again.

Pencil's I'm ok with - I tend to always put them in the same few places, so I've got one in each :)

3mm drillbits are an entirely different matter - I now buy these 20 at a time, far easier than succumbing to FFS syndrome. Cheap chinese ones from ebay - they don't hang around long enough to go blunt, and seem to be made just well enough that they don't snap either while they are in this plane of existence.

thick_mike":39ws6u6e said:
Adam9453":39ws6u6e said:
I got so fed up of not being able to find a pencil, I bought several hundred (literally not exaggerating) and put bundles of them all round the workshop.
Saves masses of time as there's always at least one useable one in each bundle 8)
My main frustration now is finding the pencil sharpener as I've only got one!!!!
I'm not keen on sharpening them with a knife as I can never find the bleeding knife either :lol:

You just need one of these...

[youtube]Bvr2PvLqnYY[/youtube]

There was a thread a while back about pencil sharpeners, but that is a thing of engineering beauty - I wonder what angle is on those blades? *ducks for cover*

rafezetter":2ljzx8pu said:
thick_mike":2ljzx8pu said:
Adam9453":2ljzx8pu said:
I got so fed up of not being able to find a pencil, I bought several hundred (literally not exaggerating) and put bundles of them all round the workshop.
Saves masses of time as there's always at least one useable one in each bundle 8)
My main frustration now is finding the pencil sharpener as I've only got one!!!!
I'm not keen on sharpening them with a knife as I can never find the bleeding knife either :lol:

You just need one of these...

[youtube]Bvr2PvLqnYY[/youtube]

There was a thread a while back about pencil sharpeners, but that is a thing of engineering beauty - I wonder what angle is on those blades? *ducks for cover*

And now I have one on the way...thanks for tipping me off!

Today was a good day. I got to open my new packet of pencils. I love new pencils more than is normal for a grown man.

thick_mike":8e9wbfmp said:
It happened...

[youtube]wDvvIVmCANc[/youtube]

How do you sharpen the blades on one of these? Wet stone or dry, pro edge perhaps? and obviously more important do it free hand or use jigs?

Could be a good debating point! ](*,)

Phil

I received a late crimble pressie today, I've not lost it yet !

Attachments

• IMG_0505.JPG
    IMG_0505.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 664
Homers double":1cbxugpn said:
I received a late crimble pressie today, I've not lost it yet !

I know you put a real pencil in there for scale but which one? I'm not sure if you got a massive pencil or a sub atomic size pencil fitted with a fiendishly clever tracking device. :|

thick_mike":137codp1 said:
It happened...

[youtube]wDvvIVmCANc[/youtube]
That's not only awesome to watch, but it does a very nice job.

Imagine how well it would work with really sharp blades. :D

BugBear

Well I had a successful day and only lost one pencil but did manage to lose a screwdriver bit and holder.

What's the difference between the Staedtler red and yellow pencils?

Gary":1zikaw0d said:

One is red and one is yellow. :-D I believe they are named differently too - 'Traditional' and 'Noris', respectively.

NazNomad":1umcfd6w said:
Gary":1umcfd6w said:

One is red and one is yellow. :-D I believe they are named differently too - 'Traditional' and 'Noris', respectively.
And the difference between them is?

The Noris isn't available in F hardness.

The Noris is cheaper (slightly).

Latest posts

Back