final polish before/after delivery

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is the scenario.

You have completed a piece of furniture. It has the appropriate finish on it for asthetics, protection etc, whatever that may be and the customer is coming to see it in your workshop, or you have just installed it in their house. Does anybody use a polish of any kind on everything they do, for just this occasion- beeswax perhaps for a nice smell, or even Mr Sheen? I used some of the Black Bison paste wax, and it gave the piece a lovely sheen and smell. I know that it wouldn’t last long on a table top, but it isn’t for protection, more of a bit of added wow factor. Interested to hear what you pros do.

Hi,

Depends on the piece really, if its a large piece that you are deliverying, then a quick buff over with finishing wax once in position always looks good.

for smaller pieces which are being collected from your workshop, the final polish and wax will be fine! Just advise the clients on future care.

Regards,

David

I would never advise putting anything in the 'Mr.Sheen' category on a finished piece, it may be quick and easy to add sparkle but most contain silicones and if you provide an aftercare service against damage you may live to regret it when you try to blend back into the final finish. It's often necessary to completely strip and start again after over zealous use of silicone based polishes.

Ask a painter and decorator how he got on trying to repaint a room where everything in sight has had a nice sparkle added.

Occasionally depending upon the piece and the clients I give the piece a final polish with wax that I get from Quince Honey Farm in Devon, it has a fantastic aroma which as you put adds a "wow" factor when delivered as the clients love the smell.

Back