Filler advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DomValente

Established Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of completing a shopfit for a company whose shops have a corporate image of white washed furniture.

The counter in this shop is 18' long so have made it in three sections, the floor,painted white, is not perfectly flat as it is made of old tongue and grooveded boards,soooo there are small gaps in the joints on the counter top, only about a mill , but they need filling.

Any suggestions for a good quality filler than can be cleaned up after use without damaging the existing finish and will not shrink.

Thanks

Dom

i think you need to look at car type fillers, since they are
designed to be more resistant to shrinkage, problem is
of course you have to do it and then check what happens.

two part fillers will almost always act in a better way than one
part types. i think even p38 might work, and that is a kind
of grey finish.
many american magazines recommend car type fillers, so
maybe you can check with a local car paint resellers
like morelli or what used to be brown brothers.

paul :wink:

A better option to car filler is two part wood filler, I use it all the time on MDF as it sands much more essily than car filler. Cuprinol do one that you should be able to get from B&Q or I also Like the Bonda Supersoft by Bondaglass Voss. Available in white, cream and a number of Wood colours.

Jason

Jason, I used to use the supersoft, but even if I left it a day it would still shrink over time. Another thing it did on one job was absorb the color out of the paint, I have no idea how it did this, it was a light blue sprayed finish, I had a few screw holes I filled, six months later the customer phoned to say white spots were appearing, low and behold it was on the screw holes.
I've tried various fillers since, none really satisfactory apart from a 2 pack resin and powder filler, but can't find a supplier, it was a gift originally from someone.
If anyone knows what its called let me know.(I have asked this in apost already, so apologies for banging on about it)
Sorry to steal your thead Dom.

Hi Dom (copied from reply to Senior)

From the quesion, you seem to require a filler for cracks in frames or very elastic (but hard setting) filler.

I use a product called Dryflex rp a lot for repair work in sashes etc. Its a 2 part mix.

Dont think of normal wood filler with hardener, it has nothing to do with that.

It is only available from the UK distributor in peterborough.

You can look at their site, but be warned, they are a dutch company so its all in dutch.

Although if you visit http://world.altavista.com/babelfish/tr

and enter http://www.repair-care.com in the translate a web page box you will get a pretty good english version...

I will try to upload some pics of the process.

Marky

Back