Fielder Hammer A3 with blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireburst

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone own a Hammer A3 with the fielder fast fit blades? If so what is their opinion to the quality of the finish and the life of the blades? I am weighing up the choice of going with the the quick fit blades or paying extra for a spiral cutter. I do like the finish from a spiral cutter but if the finish is almost as good from the blades then that would be fine as I always sand anyway.

I’ve used both & went for the spiral block 4 years ago when I upgraded my planer, I've never regretted my decision it gives the best finish I’ve seen from a planer

Another big yes for the spiral cutter block. Very quiet, very good in wilder grain and the inserts last ages. Last week I put some 2mm bandsawn veneers through on a pice of melamine backing board and finish was excellent. My old 2 knife block machine would have eaten them and spat them out in pieces

I had the Hammer quick change blades for years, very good but upgraded to the Spiral machine which was worth the extra investment for me. Quality of finish, reduced tear out, cutter longevity, quieter and lower power consumption all good plus points. Only one slight difference I have noticed is hand feeding on the surfacer can have a slight bit of more resistance, when planning wider boards I do use push blocks for extra grip-with the bridge guard in place, or wet your hands.

https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/micro-jig-grr-rip-block-smart-pushblock/
Cheers

Peter

Anyone know why there are a lot of spiral cutter blocks but not so many helical cutter blocks which appear to give better results due to the shearing action?

I had the Hammer quick change blades for years, very good but upgraded to the Spiral machine which was worth the extra investment for me. Quality of finish, reduced tear out, cutter longevity, quieter and lower power consumption all good plus points. Only one slight difference I have noticed is hand feeding on the surfacer can have a slight bit of more resistance, when planning wider boards I do use push blocks for extra grip-with the bridge guard in place, or wet your hands.

https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/micro-jig-grr-rip-block-smart-pushblock/
Cheers

Peter
I have used Grr-rips for a while. One of the best investments I made

Back