field maple

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John,

I can't say for sure, but expect that you would find it pretty similar to sycamore. I've recently been collecting quite a few pieces of maple myself (although I don't think that any of it is field maple). So far the indications are that it might not even be distinguishable from sycamore, at least as far as the wood is concerned.

Cheers,

Dod

As George says it can be a bit bland. I have just picked some up with burrs in so I am fortunate.

The nice thing about it being bland is you can really concentrate on the form of the piece.

" With simplicity there is no where to hide" there I go again quoting and waffling.

have fun turning it.

Traditionally, it was used a lot for kitchen stuff (bowls, plates spoons etc) as it's easy to work and non-toxic. I've also used it for captive ring rattles for the same reasons.

Thanks all

I have some lengths of trunk about 4 feet long 16" diameter whats the best way of dealing with it

Depends what you want to do with it - if you want to dry it before use,a minimum of split it through the pith,and seal the ends.

Andrew

Back