Fiberglass (how dangerous)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greek Enigma

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi sorry to ask such a question.
but how dangerous is fiberglass?

Reason i ask is because my mum lives in a mobile home and im adding electrical outlets and aerial outlets for her room and my young brothers room as they dnt have any

anyway after i cut out the squares i was presented with fiberglass (I THINK)

and just used my hands to push it all to the sides as i was in a hurry

WILL MY HANDS BE OK LOL?

PS WHAT TYPE OF GLOVES ARE SUITABLE FOR HANDLING FIBERGLASS

You will be fine touching fibre glass with bare hands, may be a bit itchy but just wash with soap and cold water.

Being a sparks I have been in contact with all sorts of fibre glass for nearly 20 years and while not good to breath in it is not as dangerous as smaller particles like Wood and asbestos.

No problem with skin contact apart from it's itchiness.

Steve.

Ateallthepies":r9gfv2l6 said:
You will be fine touching fibre glass with bare hands, may be a bit itchy but just wash with soap and cold water.

Being a sparks I have been in contact with all sorts of fibre glass for nearly 20 years and while not good to breath in it is not as dangerous as smaller particles like Wood and asbestos.

No problem with skin contact apart from it's itchiness.

Steve.

thankyou (just making sure as i use to be in contact with it alot when younger, but didnt think about it then)

thanks

ps if i do a post in about 1 hour on here about spurs ring mains etc would you help please as i got to add some sockets etc

thanks again :D

is this site just for woodworking or is their a electrical section?

Any standard work gloves will do fine
you may get a small bit of skin irritation after occasional work with no gloves

The issue that is of most concern with fg is the very small airborne particles that float around once its disturbed.
[Strong sunlight or a good torch will reveal them. ]

You need to make sure the mobile is well ventilated during and after you are working there and also ensure that there are no draughts arising from your work that will allow these particles to be brought into the rooms.

Back