• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

FTAGH Festool Systainer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like a lot of people don't keep there tools handy and ready for use but all neat and tidy in boxes.
Hmm...my tools are handy and ready for use in their neat and tidy boxes. For example, when I finish drilling, I put the bit back in the drill index and the drill back in the box. I don't have to hunt around for anything because I know where it is.

Years ago, I had a conversation with a security expert from my higher headquarters about the time required to install a particular door lock. I told him I can install the lock, on average, in about six hours, depending on the door panel and door frame. He didn't believe me because his best time was over eight hours on a standard door. I installed over 25 of those locks, and he installed over 100, yet his time was significantly longer than mine.

He watched me install one of the locks a few days later and laughed because organized all of the lock hardware in small plastic bins in the order they will be used and I was putting my tools back in the tool boxes between operations. He wasn't laughing when I was finished the installation just over five hours later. That's when he realized he wasted a lot of time looking for a tool he had just used or looking for the next lock component to install.

Hmm...my tools are handy and ready for use in their neat and tidy boxes. For example, when I finish drilling, I put the bit back in the drill index and the drill back in the box. I don't have to hunt around for anything because I know where it is.

Years ago, I had a conversation with a security expert from my higher headquarters about the time required to install a particular door lock. I told him I can install the lock, on average, in about six hours, depending on the door panel and door frame. He didn't believe me because his best time was over eight hours on a standard door. I installed over 25 of those locks, and he installed over 100, yet his time was significantly longer than mine.

He watched me install one of the locks a few days later and laughed because organized all of the lock hardware in small plastic bins in the order they will be used and I was putting my tools back in the tool boxes between operations. He wasn't laughing when I was finished the installation just over five hours later. That's when he realized he wasted a lot of time looking for a tool he had just used or looking for the next lock component to install.
Getting well off topic now but about 4 years ago I heard David Coulthard on a podcast saying that all the success he'd had is mostly down to being over organised. The tag line was basically "I can show you a method that means you'll never ever have to look for something ever again....Once you've finished using something, put it away".

Honestly I listened to that podcast about three years ago and I dont think there's a day gone by since that I haven't thought about it (either when im frustrated looking for what i've put down somewhere or when I'm seconds away from putting something down somewhere it doesn't belong)

Problem here @johnbest981 is when you've not organised things properly in the first place. I was diagnosed with organisational difficulties at uni and our dyslexia type teacher (lesson similar to what you'd have to help people arrange things and dyslexics - which is what my overall diagnosis was but specifically organisational difficulties) once told us, "it might look like chaos but I know every item and where it is in that pile" (of books messed up in a junk heap on his desk). I now know that he was obviously talking tripe (I think).

Most of my time is spent looking for things and I do try to put things away. But when items don't actually have a home then it's just worse! I have one shelf where all the drill bits and everything else goes (I'll show it later) but I'm still working on the big tidy up. The Systainer case for me was to help in that regards as I'm hoping to have a shelf dedicated to the power tools somewhere.

Disorganisation... In my opinion, is just rubbish and I'm sick of it!. Funny thing is that the missus told me when we were gonna get married, "I'll help organise you". Same missus never lets me out shelves or cupboards up. Even book shelves, so that just adds to the problem. Hence my little outhouse is my 'shelves' room..

Offtopic... maybe? Sorry...

I only just saw this thread and was intrigued because I too have a Systainer that will never again see the router it once contained...9y and counting! - I'll be posting it up as a FTAGH soon - I just need to find it.....;)
However in contrast to you Mike, I have an almost autistic? sense of where my tools are through a sense of when and where I last used them, and that rarely fails me.
Because of this I prefer to work alone because from experience having someone assisting me will result in them moving a tool I have just randomly put down with the result of me scratching my head as to why it has vanished from where I left it..
I think most likely an ordered/tidy workshop is a sensible approach for most folk, however for the few like me the chaos that most folk see in my workshop just works for me!

I think most likely an ordered/tidy workshop is a sensible approach for most folk, however for the few like me the chaos that most folk see in my workshop just works for me!
Mine is always chaos, I just haven't enough space. The one thing I've done for a long time is at the end of use I cable tie the leads of any mains tools. It comes from working somewhere with totally inadequate wiring and putting five metre leads on everything - I wasted an hour one morning untangling the leads of seven or eight tools. It would probably have been easier and quicker to have cut the plugs off and replaced them afterwards. :LOL: Never again.

You must be the exception to the rule mike :LOL: When i work everything comes out and then gets placed on whatever surface is free. During any job i've 7 powertool cables crisscrossing the floor and their tools everydamnwhere :LOL:

I am the product of military conditioning and it's second nature now.
I tend to have my most used tools at hand and as they go down the list of becoming less and less used they do end up more put away just to make space. I know how Mike was conditioned, there are other industries that work along similar lines where every tool has to be booked out to the job and before that job can be signed off every tool has to be booked back in and accounted for, shame it's not std practice in our NHS as it would save opening someone up again to retrieve that missing tool !

The other great storage ideas are shadow boards and the way some people like Denis in Hooked on wood keep tools like routers on a wall board.

I tend to have my most used tools at hand and as they go down the list of becoming less and less used they do end up more put away just to make space. I know how Mike was conditioned, there are other industries that work along similar lines where every tool has to be booked out to the job and before that job can be signed off every tool has to be booked back in and accounted for, shame it's not std practice in our NHS as it would save opening someone up again to retrieve that missing tool !

The other great storage ideas are shadow boards and the way some people like Denis in Hooked on wood keep tools like routers on a wall board.

I think (might be wrong) Dennis displays his tools on the wall board as a backdrop to his videos. With each of those tools, there are accessories that have to be stored somewhere, but I haven't seen where he stores them yet. :)

Our motor pools and armories use the shadow boards, when appropriate, for tool storage. The day starts and ends with a complete inventory. The individual mechanic's tool kits use a large plastic shadow sheet that is spread out on the motor pool floor and has a place for every tool in the kit. I use Kaizen foam inserts in some of the drawers with cutouts for each tool. This makes it easy to identify when something is missing.

I am the product of military conditioning and it's second nature now. :)
Snap Mike, in our armoury, and kitchen the chefs and armourers had similer set ups, then when I left and Festo later Festool came out with their tool boxes I was a happy bunny, today I must have 30 systainers with the original tools in , and a tool wall with self made tool holders on a French cleat wall

Attachments

• 464824041_354286.jpg
    464824041_354286.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 0

I seem to recall seeing a photo of your workshop, it was incredibly tidy. It is something I find difficult, I do try but I “put things down” almost sub consciously, normally in an obvious location, but then struggle to find it. I have spent a lot of time organising things in boxes, not just tools but materials, so I can usually find things but it is a real effort. My main problem is keeping left over materials and deciding what to get rid of and how, sell, tip, charity shop.

But it is a hobby for me.

I can't stand the argument from people who always say that people with ultra tidy workshops can't possibly make anything - because clearly plenty of people do, they just like a tidy workshop.

I would have to say, the best people / performers I have come across in business are definitely those who are hyper organised.

Back