Festool saw help needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corset

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a festool ATF55 (i think, its the old model) anyway in a bit of a dilemma. While slicing my way merrily through some stacked sheets of ply i had a bit of a spark, but no real pause in cutting (sttacked by some one else). When i get to the end of the cut i find that i have cut right through a screw (very cool to look at) don't know what it was there for but it has now chipped by new saw blade :cry: but when i go to change the blade, now very chipped, the hex bold securing the balde is locked. In a hurry i attempt the brute force approach and i destroy the hex head, many words spring to mind.
Normally i would hammer my way to solve the problem however as this is a festool and although old i do not want to wreck it. So basically what should i do?? Is the festool repair centre the way forward or is their some cunning alternative. :?:

Yes it was the right way which makes it even more annoying. NOt sure how to cut the slot due to the guard and don't have an impact driver.

Corset":2r4gijad said:
Yes it was the right way which makes it even more annoying. NOt sure how to cut the slot due to the guard and don't have an impact driver.

I don't think impact drivers are that dear cheque out a diy car spares shop you could try forcing a slightly smaller socket on

you could try drilling out the bolt (making shore that you drill in the centre) under the size of the threads with the tension off it could unscrew easily

these are things I have used before and worked BUT don't hold me responsible

There is one more thing to try, that is to try heating the screw only ( if you have a small torch, that will do it ).

You have to try to just heat the screw and leave it to cool down on its own, you should find that it is easier to undo after.

I have use this alot on removing old screws from furniture :wink:

There are some newish socket thingies on the market might save you a big bill. You know the way those Trend screw extractors work on screws with bxxxd heads, cutting in and gripping like a drill with far too much clearnce angle? Well these sockets are rather like a female version, with the cut and grip bits on the inside, made to lock onto rounded bolt heads.
They're made by Irwin, Screwfix have them in the 'automotive' section.

Not sure if your bolt has a cap (allen) head, and it was an allen (hex) key that slipped? The above should work on this too if you can get the right size. Sometimes you can get an easyout to lock into a knxxxd cap head, either as is, or with some judicious drilling.

Both the above will only be of use if the bolt does not have a reverse thread.

If it is reverse thread and the spanner slipped because the bolt was very tight I think I would try to drill the head off going very carefully as the drill approached the blade washer.

Good luck!

If you removed the guard, would you be able to get to the nut/bolt head with a pair of stilsons, (I think some people call them pipe wrenches). They can be very persuasive, as well as gentle.

I hope that there is a solution here somewhere.

Back