Festool MFK700 - for hinge recesses?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woof

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
As per title - does anyone have the MFK700 and can it be used for making hinge recesses? I was going to buy a cheaper palm router, but the precision does not seem there like the festool. (I do like festool things). Also not sure if the cheaper version comes with all I need for hinge recessing and basic edge profiling. Thanks, Mark

I've just ordered one :) I've used a small makita trimmer for doing hinges for a few years.

I want the mfk for trimming edging mainly but I have heard of people using them for hinges. I can't see why it wouldn't do the job.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

I've got an MFK 700, and for edge trimming laminate/veneer or adding a round over to the edges of boards it's superb. It can handle hinge recesses, or at least the outline of the recess, but only if you run it in template with a bearing guided bit. The reason being the very poor cutter visibilty on the MFK 700, in fact the cutter is virtually invisible in operation.

For freehand recess cutting personally I prefer the little DeWalt (the non plunge version) because it offers outstanding cutter visibility, although the little Bosch or Makita palm routers would do equally well. These palm routers aren't that expensive, but they're very useful tools and there really isn't a Festool equivalent. Freehand router work is all about cutter visibility and that doesn't seem particularly high on Festool's priorities for any of their routers.

I use a Draper expert router on my Leigh dovetail jig, not only is the base transparent, but it has three built in LED lights that let you see exactly what is happening, its brilliant.

Mike

custard":1t18k6gb said:
For freehand recess cutting personally I prefer the little DeWalt (the non plunge version) because it offers outstanding cutter visibility, although the little Bosch or Makita palm routers would do equally well. These palm routers aren't that expensive, but they're very useful tools and there really isn't a Festool equivalent. Freehand router work is all about cutter visibility and that doesn't seem particularly high on Festool's priorities for any of their routers.

I get what you're saying there, and I reckon it's possibly the trade-off between better dust collection that squiffs the visibility on the Festools, not sure, only real experience is an old green Bosch, another Blue Bosch, some nonsense from Screwfix 10 years ago and then I kind of went all in with Festool routers because they share so many accessories - and I like accessories.

I'd have one of those Bosch palm routers in a heart beat if there were an easy way to fit the Leigh adaptor in it so I can use my UJK guide bushes. In fact, if anyone knows (I do ask a bit about this) please do say.

The leigh adaptor screws directly into the base plate of the Draper Expert.

Mike

MikeJhn":comng6yt said:
The leigh adaptor screws directly into the base plate of the Draper Expert.

Mike

That's wonderful news. For anyone with one of those.

Back