Festool Domino DF500 what size cutter?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redshock

Reaction score
I just got a DF500 and some 8x50 domino. As the DF500 shipped with a D5 cutter I think I'll need a new cutter, would I be correct in thinking I'll need a D8 cutter?

Thanks

D500 dominos come in 4, 5, 6 . 8 and 10mm thickness so yes you will need the right size cutter. May be worth buying a set as it does work out cheaper. Adjuster on the side of the machine sets the depth so the combined plunge should add up to 50mm. Occasionally I have cut dominos to length but a bit of a faff

Work on the rule of thirds. The Domino cutter chosen is the one closest to 1/3 of the material thickness. If you are working only with reasonably narrow stock or sheet you will never use the larger sizes. And remember, if you do want a 10mm mortice, you'll probably want it deeper than the 28mm allowed by the D500

And as an afterthought, CMT, an Italian manufacturer, makes lower cost cutters that seem identical to the Festool ones.

Worth looking at the Domino set, which not only includes all sizes for the dominos themselves, but all the cutter sizes too. Check amazon.de

Depends on what you’re making. If it’s basic carcass and cabinetry work in eg sheet goods, then the 5mm bit it comes with and 5x30 Dominos do a great job, and take away that ‘whoops, I forgot to change the depth of cut’ moments. 👍

Back