Festool domino: benefits + price

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should be in the box, looks like this......

IMG_2433.JPG
canvas.png

Last edited:
I was in the same boat, contacted a few people selling on Facebook MP but as soon as I said I wanted to see it working it all went quiet!
I ended up buying new with all the attachments and cutters from Axminster tools and have it hooked up to a basic shop vac. It’s a brilliant tool which I don’t regret buying.

Where I am sat with the Festool domino is knowing that this is a luxury item in my situation, its for my own house renovation i.e. I'm not on the clock. So to pay full whack I've just got to get my head around how beneficial it will be to the cabinetry I've got planned. That said, if I drop a grand on something I can sell for 500 quid after a couple of years, I won't lose too much sleep over it.
I don’t really think it’s a luxury item in any situation. Also you are likely to be able to sell it for far more than ½ the price you paid ¾ is more like the selling price and that is based on the current new price not the lower price you paid

But unless you stop making stuff or are desperate for cash it is not a tool that many will sell.

FWIW I can virtually guarantee that if I were to sell mine I would get more than the full retail price I paid. The only things that don’t have as much value are the accessories.

If money was no object I’d get the Domino in a heartbeat. However as a DIY’er the time it will save doesn’t stack up financially, so I’m currently saving up pennies for the most recent iteration of @petermillard Loose Tenon Jig which is the most elegant way I have seen to make Domino joints without a Domino. Products

Not quite as quick or convenient as a Domino and assumes the ownership of at least a cheap trim router, but for £85 it’s much more within my price bracket (and has the means to rout shelf holes too) and from having looked at other ‘I want a Domino, but can’t afford one’ options (like the various ones that look a bit like a Domino and hold a trim router in a frame) it is so much more thoughtfully put together (for instance with locating pins to mean easy referencing against the edge of a frame and the ability to make narrow and medium Domino slots)

Mainly mentioning the above for anyone who finds this thread, as if you’re going to use it on a big project and don’t mind spending a bit of money and then selling, and then it’s clear the Festool products, particularly the Domino will hold price very well for the secondhand market, particularly if you were to list it clearly saying you have proof of ownership etc.

Warranty-wise you will find some companies where the warranty will cover all owners of a product for life or within a certain timescale. Just had a look at Festool- their conditions are that you have to register within the first 30 days of ownership to get the full 3 years and then it is unclear as to whether this only covers the original owner. (Which, if they don’t say otherwise, I would always assume is the case.)

So if buying secondhand, it’s always worth asking the current owner if they have registered it within 30 days and whether they can pass on any proof of purchase etc. (one good way to mitigate against the stolen good situation and pick a more fastidious owner)

Just a note to say in terms of warranties, as long as you have original proof of purchase, then regardless of what the company has as a warranty, UK law says that any item has to be usable for a reasonable amount of time, which for a premium tool such as this would certainly be measured in years, so if you had and issue even if not within say a company’s 1 years standard warranty, there would still be an argument for repair/ replacement if there were say a factory defect that made it stop working.

I have that bit, but vac connection end does not fit properly to the CT15, I in investigate more later today.

I had a guy advertising local on Facebook market about £600 I think , I said I was interested and could I come and see it, He gave me the post code in Newcastle, over 100 miles away , He said It was a mistake, but if I pad by bankers draft he would ship it on DHL, I said no , List it on eBay and I will pay by Pay pal so I have protection, He said he does not have a eBay account, Then I found the advert on quite a few different sites, Even if you but it on eBay and use Pay pal , You can still get caught, they ask you to send the money as a gift to save the charges, and if you pay it as a gift you have not bought properly through eBay and you are not protected, Be""""""" aware """"""" the know all the scams

Had same experience on FB, people wanting deposits, meet in car parks etc. I got into the habit of doing a search on the images they use and seeing it pop up on multiple adverts. You ask why and they then block you.

I did eventually find a genuine one, was one of the more expensive adverts but the guy was happy to do a deal. He’d bought during covid and then got bored. Think it was around £700 for df500, three systainers of Dominos, two new sets of cutters and the knock down systainer kit, all with receipts.

Guess you can get a deal, but be wary.

I will place a small wager that the advert is a scam. Try asking to see it / pick it up. I suspect you will find that the seller goes silent! I’ve enquired about 20 on FB at that price, all resulted in the product disappearing as well as the seller. You might be exceptionally lucky, but don’t get your hopes up.

I was thinking of picking up a second hand df500 (as I believe that's the right unit for someone who mostly works in 18mm panels). I've seen one on local FB for £450 as the full kit including a sustainer of dominos etc and given the retail price seemed too good to be true, but is that where the 2nd hand mkt is on average?
Too good to be true, but it you can buy it through your Visa account you will be better protected, than either PayPal or Ebay.

The domino is a very versatile tool for general cabinetry. For large units and wardrobes however it still relies on clamping them together until the glue sets and this is impractical unless you use the K/D fittings. If this is the case it's best to concentrate on an optimum K/D type of fitting. Frames and paneled doors can be made with dominoes of course but I find a profile and style set of router cutters more versatile. As for cost that price looks too good to be true but I'm sure i paid Axminster about £400 for a Domino - about 20 years ago ! .

I never regretted getting a domino, it will quickly pay for itself. You will use it all the time. The beauty of it is you can just put a pencil mark accross the joint and whack it together in a minute.

If money was no object I’d get the Domino in a heartbeat. However as a DIY’er the time it will save doesn’t stack up financially, so I’m currently saving up pennies for the most recent iteration of @petermillard Loose Tenon Jig which is the most elegant way I have seen to make Domino joints without a Domino. Products
Why try and make loose tennon joints without a Domino, the Domino makes an oblong hole very fast and that makes the loose tennon joint viable. Without a Domino then jigs to make that oblong hole are not as easy but probably as accurate if not more so but why the loose tenon joint when you have other options. I have been down the XL700 route and in my opinion the 500 is the better tool but have now gone back to using dowels, I accept they are much slower but are much more precise and versatile in layout, have both the Dowelmax and Jessem doweling jigs which are both really precise although we have lost UK support for the Dowelmax, you can buy direct though.

The beauty of it is you can just put a pencil mark accross the joint and whack it together in a minute.
Yes and no, it works on the sloppy setting but it is not as easy on the tight setting, only talking about the 700 here as I do suspect it is easier to get alignment with the lighter and less bulky 500 that has a much shallower plunge depth. Saying that on my last attempts with the 700 I tried easing the rounded ends of the actual wooden domino and that did help so maybe some hope yet.

Yes and no, it works on the sloppy setting but it is not as easy on the tight setting, only talking about the 700 here as I do suspect it is easier to get alignment with the lighter and less bulky 500 that has a much shallower plunge depth. Saying that on my last attempts with the 700 I tried easing the rounded ends of the actual wooden domino and that did help so maybe some hope yet.
I have a 700, quite often I do one side on the tight setting and the other on loose, this is especially useful on big long tables and things.

I think you were all right :)

Contacted seller to see it and was told absolutely fine and was given the address for an Asda car park :ROFLMAO:
The other warning sign I noticed after the fact is that the only joined Facebook recently.

New one it is (y)

Why try and make loose tennon joints without a Domino, the Domino makes an oblong hole very fast and that makes the loose tennon joint viable. Without a Domino then jigs to make that oblong hole are not as easy but probably as accurate if not more so but why the loose tenon joint when you have other options. I have been down the XL700 route and in my opinion the 500 is the better tool but have now gone back to using dowels, I accept they are much slower but are much more precise and versatile in layout, have both the Dowelmax and Jessem doweling jigs which are both really precise although we have lost UK support for the Dowelmax, you can buy direct though.

As long as you draw the line across in one swipe, it doesn’t have to be straight, and line up the mark right at the edge of the board with the line engraved on the domino then even two tight settings line up perfectly. That is with the 500 though.

I think you were all right :)

Contacted seller to see it and was told absolutely fine and was given the address for an Asda car park :ROFLMAO:
The other warning sign I noticed after the fact is that the only joined Facebook recently.

New one it is (y)
Most likely stolen if it exists then. Good move getting a new one.

For large units and wardrobes however it still relies on clamping them together until the glue sets
That maybe your experience. It is far from mine and I am using domino cutters that are not worn.

My experience is that far from using clamps to hold the parts together I only need clamps to pull the joints together. The glue and dominos provide more than enough resistance so the clamps can be immediately released. Now it is certainly possible to envisage a joint where clamping during glue set is required, this is an unusual exception, though poor cutting of faces or faces warping is more likely to be a problem requiring extended clamp times.

Last edited:
Back