Festival of the Tree at Westonbirt

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
I went with LOML to Westonbirt yesterday for the Festival of the Tree. We were very lucky with the weather - like this all day

outside.sized.jpg

A goodly number of chainsaw carvers were to be seen but this chap was doing a much nicer job using only hand tools

Carver.sized.jpg

Inside the Classic Handtools tent we found this bloke rabbiting on about dovetails... Here he is testing one of his bits of joinery to show that even his fine pins are quite strong enough! Actually Rob's spiel has ascended into the Living Treasure class in my estimation. I sat through two hours of it and whilst some here may understand that, what is really amazing is that LOML Mary also sat through it too and really enjoyed it - trust me, I would have known if she didn't!

robc2_1.sized.jpg

His host was Mike Hancock who had a goodly selection of tools on offer plus a new catalogue that I snapped up. I take my hat off to Mike for bringing folk like Rob C over when Axminster failed us this year. As well as Rob, Mike had master craftsmen in carving and turning doing demonstrations for the folk that like those branches of woodworking. I reckon he deserves congratulations for bring these people together. MIke was looking pretty happy that it was all coming together finally.

mikeh.sized.jpg

There were one or two old tools to be had in his marquee - how about this one - must have weighed twenty pounds I think

shoot1.sized.jpg

Outside, there was plenty to see although much of it was typical craft fair tat, there were also a goodly number of interesting things to wonder at, like these chairs - a different take on the rocking chair theme..

rockers.sized.jpg

There were the usual green woodworkers and quite a few Windsor chair makers. I picked up one of James Mursell's brochures with a view to taking myself off on one of his courses next year (that is NOT him in the picture)

shavehorse.sized.jpg

Friends of Westonbirt had a space where they were selling wood - some of it quite droolworthy, like this spalted beech. Everything was sold at about £15 per cu ft. I got some lime for carving but could have had oak, ash, yew, various softwoods, cherry, birch, beech and some others I forget.

wood.sized.jpg

All in all a great day out and well worth the trip which we also combined with a visit to Betty Norbury's show at Cheltenham - another show definitely worth visiting for any aspiring woodworker.

Chris
Thanks for the report! I've driven past a few times in the last coupleof months but was unable to attend this year. :(
Next year for sure!
I also know what you mean about Rob C-the guy just wins you over with his enthusiam. And he also can walk the walk-'nuff said :D
Cheers
Philly :D

I was there on Friday and had a great time.

Very useful and interesting watching Rob and his approach to dovetails.

Only problem was some guy and his wife in front of me kept jumping up and down taking pictures and getting in the way !!! :roll: :lol:

We really must find a way of identifying ourselves at these kind of meetings. Can't believe I sat behind you Chris for a couple of hours without realising it !

Will know to say hello next year at least !

Cheers, Paul. :D

Ah, Paul, if you can stand the shock, always refresh your memory by having a look at the Rogues' Gallery (kindly (?) provided by Chas for our bird-scaring pleasure) before going. Then you know who you're yelling at to "sit the hell down, will ya!" :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Chris

Thanks for the pic's and report on what looked like a very enjoyable day out.

I did like the wood pile they had for sale and the prices.

I'll try and make it next year.

An enjoyable afternoon out, some very high quality stuff amongst the normal run of crafts offerings, but again some peoples perception of what constitutes a finished article leaves a lot to be desired. I guess they never look at other peoples offerings.

Having had a real good look at Rob's dovetails I'll stick to spinning bits of wood to pass the time away.

Yew might guess what somehow found it's way into the boot of the car, I feel a bandsaw moment coming on in the morning.

Oh, and Alf; just boxes of a few hundred pre owned Chisels and a couple of dozen or so Saws and Planes with galootish price tags. You would not have enjoyed it. :twisted:

Yeah, thanks for that, Chas... :p And I haven't so much as got a glimpse of a car boot this weekend to ease the pain - blasted visitors. :evil: :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":aqddg0r6 said:
Yeah, thanks for that, Chas... :p And I haven't so much as got a glimpse of a car boot this weekend to ease the pain - blasted visitors. :evil: :roll:

Cheers, Alf

I don't think you would have liked the prices Alf; I have seen better specimens used to decorate walls than some of the stuff put out. Mind you the vendors may have had the experience of dealing with some of our hard nosed members in the past :twisted:

EDIT:
DSC01645.JPG

DSC01646.JPG

<Shudder> That's an 'orrible sight to see on a Monday... There's a place in Redruth that has a load of saws nailed to the outside wall - what were once saws anyway. They're now just rust with enough handle left to hint at their being once high class tools. I do hope they were already far gone before they tacked them up there but I haven't the nerve to ask just in case they weren't. 8-[

Cheers, Alf

Chris & Paul
We sure need a badge or T shirt -I sat in on Robs presentation on Friday as well.
First time I have been to Westonbirt, it’s the best show I have been to for a long time.
Mike.

Mike-W":1kxmxzh4 said:
We sure need a badge or T shirt
Hmm... any one got any experience with one of those personalised t-shirt e-shop things? (like Cafepress, but in GBP would be nice) :-k

Cheers, Alf

Back