Felt a little potty today,,,

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joethedrummer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello Woodspinners,,,
Made a lidded pot from oak today,, it"s about 6 inch dia; by 6 inch tall,, plain and simple to not detract from the grain,,what do you think ?
,,,,,,,,,,joe,,

Attachments

• pops shed 050.jpg
    pops shed 050.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 1,528
  • pops shed 051.jpg
    pops shed 051.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 1,528
Hi

Like the grain and the finish but I'm not convinced about the shape - I think it either needs to be more rounded or straight, ie the curve on the lid would look nicer reflected in the base or the square base would suit a squarer lid.

Is that a platter and candlestick on the lathe bed? - please show.

Regards Mick

Nice little lidded form the only thing that I would have done is to round over the bottom to match the top. It would also give the appearance of a small foot even though there is not one and lift the piece.

That's a little beauty ! Love the grain, love the lid ;)

Coley

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Hello woodspinners,,,,,
Many thanks for your views on the oak pot,,,it"s good to hear what you think,,I"ll try some more pots an" bear in mind what you think,,,
Mick,, I have uploaded a pic; of the candle holder/platter,, it was a little project for the christmas period when I thought table centre pieces might be popular,, but then I got cold feet with all the H & E angle on candles in wooden holders,, although a brass candle cup would have gone on the stem.
Graham,, the guards cover the speed reduction pullies ,,( H & E again ),, hey,I think it was Mick who suggested the guards,,
Paul J,, checked out your website, an" when I saw your work ,,many thanks for bothering to assess my humble creations,,
,,,,,,,,,,joe,,,,

Attachments

• pops shed 053.jpg
    pops shed 053.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 1,327
Joe, your oak pot caused me to part with £20 at the boot sale on Sunday. There was a guy who was selling all his mums turning blanks ( she had to give up at 83 !) he was selling them for a quid each....do I got a deal and bought both boxes for 20. There's a nice bit of spalted beech that might be similar dimensions to yours- hope you dont mind if I try to replicate it myself ? :)
I've never tried turning a lidded pot before so im not expecting it to go smoothly :D
Coley

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Coley,, Go ahead my friend an" if the pot works out alright give it to that dear ol"lady,, tho" at 83 that"s not the sort of pot she might need,,,
Please post up a pic; of your handicraft when it"s done,,
Check out other threads about pots to get some ideas,, but you need a thin parting tool to get some sort of grain match between the lid an" pot,,
PS,, thinking about it more,,,was his mum married ?,, "cos turning in her 80s, she sounds like my sort of lady!!!!!
,,,,,,,,,,,,joe,,,

Hi Joe

Thanks for the photo of the candle stick - I'm sure if you fitted a glass or brass liner and displayed with a few nuts in the dish they'd sell well =D>

Regards Mick

Latest posts

Back