Fein Multimaster not working ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TobyB

Established Member
Reaction score
Help!

My Fein Multimaster isn't working. Halfway through a job it's suddenly stopped running properly. It's a few years old and has seen quite a bit of use. No smoking etc, not running hot. It still moves - it's not dead - but it oscilates very slowly and has no power, you can stop it by hand. If it was a battery tool I'd reckon the battery was failing.

I'm guessing something significant has given up - I read about "changing the bushes" and things on tools - but no idea how to start ... what to look for, etc.

Is this something easy to diagnose and fix myself, or do I need to send it to a repair shop. Looked on Fein's site and none listed ... where?

I think it uses carbon bushes - 2 screw type plastic thingies, one on each side near the cable entry. Might be worth taking them out and seeing if they've worn down.

HIH

Dibs

Hi Dibbs

I'm learning stuff - went and had a look, after reading around a bit to have an idea what I might be doing. The brushes are both about 9 mm from base to contact area, and both have smoothly worn contact surfaces, no chips, etc. I don't know how worn they need to be before replacing, but there was plenty pushed out of the holder by the spring, so re-assembling took a bit of doing whilst holding them in ... does that mean there is plenty of life in them. When I tried it again, to see if it was still working, it seemed better ... still didn't feel as fast or sound as loud ... but would actually do some sanding.

Have I freed up a stuck bush, or are they worn but borderline OK? Or should I be looking at something else? Any ideas? I'm afraid my power-tool diagnostics are pretty poor - and searching here (and more widely) for multimaster servicing or repairs hasn't turned up much ...

Just opened mine up & you have to remove the 3 screws and cover off the bottom. Each bush holder is held in with a screw.

Mine are at least 11mm and I've had mine for some years - so acn't really say whether 9mm is on the limit or below.

Might be worth getting a new pair as I can't see them lasting forever.

HIH

Dibs

Back