February challenge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
a little early cos I'm borrowing someone's internet connection and in case i cant get on-line again in the next day or two :evil: ...

A pair of matching chess pieces.

Any size.

Any Wood. - They Do not need to be black and/or white.

To be made on the lathe using wood turning tools.

Carving / sawing etc acceptable to form the 'Head' (Kings crown, queens coronet, bishops mitre, rook castellations etc)

This months judge will be Richard Findley **

Once you have completed your entry wait patiently until near the end of the month when a new thread will be opened titled 'Post your entries here.' this thread will remain open for 2 days during which time you can upload the required pics of your entry, along with a brief note about how you made it, what tools and finish you used, what wood (if known) and the objects dimensions. (this helps the judge and plagiarists ).

Please post 3 or 4 images of your work / entry as follows...

1 showing front profile
1 showing side profile (if different)
1 showing the pair side by side
1 optional photo showing any other feature you think might be of interest

Image size please use image size 640 x 480 0.3 mp, same previous months

Please upload your pics and description between ..

10pm on the 24th Feb.
and
10pm on the 26th Feb.

After this time the thread will be locked for Judging
Results will be given on or before the last day of the month

Any entry's that are outside the rules and requirements will not be judged
The Judges decision is final ( Any negative comments re judging must be via PM only and not on the open forum )
NO Critique or comments on any work until February Please, After the Judging and results.

** For an idea of what the judge looks for when judging, check this thread

Any questions regarding any project requirements or if any hints, tips and clues are required please post them in this thread.

Hmm - And for Mr F, matching means matching!!!!!

Nev,

I will be away from 17th - if I get them done, can I send the pics to you to upload on time?

Cheers

Greg

I assume "matching" means they look as if they come from the same set? It isn't some strange wood-turners term for identical or anything is it? Not knowing "Mr F" .....

Martin

Martin10":3fy8cp77 said:
I assume "matching" means they look as if they come from the same set? It isn't some strange wood-turners term for identical or anything is it? Not knowing "Mr F" .....

Martin

erm?

'matching' = identical in shape, a pair, two of the same. (or as close as you can get it :) )
You can have one 'black' and one 'white' but they need to be the same playing piece, so a pair of pawns, rooks, bishops, kings, queens or, for the brave, knights.
They can be large ornamental, book ends, door stops or match size, whatever you like.

So it's an exercise in spindle turning and replicating a shape (Mr.F does this as part of his day job). In the past we have had egg cups, candlesticks and the like, so I thought we'd try something different this time.

hint: Cardboard templates are your friend ;)

OK, so it is an odd interpretation (a matching cup and saucer are certainly not the same shape!). I had thought that a king and queen from the same "font" so to speak would "match", but we are aiming for identical (except for colour possibly).

Thanks for the clarification (I thought I was being silly asking this - obviously not).

Looking forward to another challenge!

Martin

Great stuff Nev. giving a nice easy one for Feb. ease them in gently and hit them with the toughies in Sept. onwards. :evil:

Looks like you could have an outstanding year .You have put together a superb program of turning looking forward to the results each month . =D> =D>

(hammer) a few test subjects!
and if you haven't got your timber yet for this project I can highly recommend boxwood for the whites - first time i've tried it and its a great wood to work with (see the small rook) (the one in front) (that looks vaguely like a rook) :mrgreen:

2013-02-07

I made a set once.................if you use two different woods, use the softer one first - otherwise, because it cuts and sands quicker than the harder one, the piece is likely to end up smaller. I used rosewood and sycamore......I know......

phil.p":1l4e8js9 said:
I made a set once.................if you use two different woods, use the softer one first - otherwise, because it cuts and sands quicker than the harder one, the piece is likely to end up smaller. I used rosewood and sycamore......I know......

Thanks for the advice :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Is segmented work allowed ??

Roger

(homer) woohoo!
at least one pair of matching chess pieces done. Dont think I've ever spent as long with the tip of my tongue poking out of the corner of my mouth in concentration, but most enjoyable.
I think I'll carry on with the rest of the set over time 8)

nev":sv4nvkon said:
(homer) woohoo!
at least one pair of matching chess pieces done. Dont think I've ever spent as long with the tip of my tongue poking out of the corner of my mouth in concentration, but most enjoyable.
I think I'll carry on with the rest of the set over time 8)

Not even thought about it yet!!. Away most of this coming week, so it will be a last minute job again for me.!!

I always leave things to the last minute.
This time, for some strange reason, I didn't (much sticking out of tongue, changing of glasses, drinking cups of tea, etc etc though). Earlier in the week I crocked my leg, so I can't stand up!!! Feeling really chuffed that I already have two chess pieces standing proudly on the mantlepiece!! Really enjoyed the challenge! My wife says they match perfectly (but then she was a primary school teacher, and has years of practice saying how wonderful children's drawings are as well - I think I detected some teacher-tones in her praise!)

Martin

You're quick off the mark Nev, I'm still doing last months homework, I've just about figured out how to use a spindle gouge to hollow out, now I need to know how to get a good finish as well. And sharpen up said spindle gouge so as to be able to turn a chess piece with it without having to use a roll of sandpaper.....

Unfortunately I won't make this months challenge as work commitments have got in the way and the only free weekend was this one and I am away.
Good luck to everyone who enters and I will be back to the lathe next month with a bit of luck.

Steve

Latest posts

Back