Feathered edges and roller marks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorongil

Reaction score
Hi all

I've got a commission to make a trinket box and I'm about to thickness the timber but I've noticed on recent machining that this problem has occurred and I'm not entirely sure how to solve it. I'm sure it's an easy solution though.

When I run timber through the thicknesser it can be a struggle to get it moving and sometimes gets stuck so I have to push it through. I put this down to trying to take off too much so now I take off no more than 1mm at a time. However, when it comes out the other end (no matter how much I take off) there is feathering on the edge and roller marks akin to the outfeed roller. Cue quick sketch;

featheredplaning.jpg

The timber I was primarily using was oak. I have tried resetting the knives using the jig with the mdf and earth magnets and piece of paper placed between jig and table.

I thought maybe the knives aren't taking enough off but there is the issue of the wood reluctantly passing through too.

Any insight you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Yours,
Shaun

First step is to make sure you have nice sharp knives. If you've been machining Oak and taking off more than 1mm per pass (I rarely take more than 1/2mm per pass with hardwoods) I'd be surprised if they aren't dull. Honing the knives will make a tremendous difference to the amount of work the feed rollers need to do.

Shaun

i had a similar problem a while back and when I took the side cover off, I found the belt driving the feed rollers was split almost half through and did not drive the rollers properly. New belt at £5 fixed it.

Thanks for the replies guys, gonna check it out tomorrow.

Will that help with the feathered edges as well then?

Up 'til now I'd used a sporadic wipe of briwax, I guess I should put a bit more effort in then. :lol:

I'll take a look at the belt too Tony, thanks for the tip.

Shaun

What machine are you using, Shaun?

I've had the same problem which Tony mentioned several times with my Perform CCNPT, where the belt is badly worn and the rollers will not turn or grab the timber at all.

You could also try looking at the rollers themselves and see if they need cleaning, I guess - don't know what you've been cutting though...

I've also had success in using the Liberon wax - both above and below the planer. Good luck. :wink:

Latest posts

Back