Favorite workshop tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandude

Reaction score
OMG - i love my table saw, i recently purchased my first table saw, a royobi jobbie from screw fix and today i used it for the first time and its now definitely my favorite workshop tool.

it got me thinking, if your workshop was on fire and you could save one tool (not including your hand tools) what would it be and why ?

Nice,
I'd be interested to know what model you have, and after you've used it a bit more a review would be very nice.

Also, if you haven't already, I'd suggest looking up some table saw safety tips, and horror stories. It'll help you make the most of your saw without putting yourself in danger.

Thanks
J

Cheers J, will do, i already watched a few safety videos as it came without assembly instructions so i had to play it by ear. It has been sat assembled in the garage for a fortnight and i was two scared to switch it on as i wasn't sure i had assembled it properly. but after inspecting a couple of other table saws i felt happy to take it for a whirl, have you seen that video of the table saw kick back that has been doing the rounds ? crikey....

i think i will make up some jigs when i get the time, i think it has the potential to be easily the most versatile saw i have...

dandude":3fccd8d6 said:
it got me thinking, if your workshop was on fire and you could save one tool (not including your hand tools) what would it be and why ?

I would probably try to save the current project I was working on rather than any of the tools. There are no tools that I have an emotional attachment to and they would all be replaced by new on the insurance ;)

I wouldn't waste time saving a power tool or machine. I only have any emotional attachment to my hand tools. Of these I would save my Sauer and Steiner panel plane and some special chisels.

yeah - no one likes burning flesh...

i keep my hand tools (i don't have that many) in a single toolbox near the door so i can grab them if i work away, clearly i can grab them nice and fast, i think after that it would definitely be the table saw..

Much as I love my Wadkin AGS table saw, if the shop was on fire I would not try to save it. :oops:
It took 5 of us to get it into the van when I bought it, I don't stand a chance of getting out of the shop alone. :roll:

Same problem here Dave, in fact the only way to get some of the machines out would be to burn the shop down! We built the shop around them.

Roy.

My favourite and most used tool at the moment is my Bosch SCMS. That said, this year I hope to get more use out of all my tools and find my feet in the workshop.

If my shop were on fire I would send the wife in to rescue my new De Walt SCMS, then send her back for the SIP table saw. Oh, that would be after she brought out my router collection of course. :lol:

Isn't it nice to see someone with the correct priorities? :lol:

Roy.

WiZeR":uhbyktwp said:
My favourite and most used tool at the moment is my Bosch SCMS. That said, this year I hope to get more use out of all my tools and find my feet in the workshop.

:shock:

I sure hope you find 'em - terrible wot gets lost in the sawdust. Just remeber to give them a good clean before you stick them back on - I'd use epoxy, If I were you - you will be wanting a permanent bond.

:D Cheers,

Arghhh! What a terrible though - the workshop burning down.

Well I'd be running for one of the three fire extinguishers I have dotted around the shop. Then wheeling my hand tool chest out the door rather rapidly :wink:

Philly :D

Without a doubt, it'd have to be...........

04012006218.jpg

My Philly Plane collection.

Cheers

Karl

I spent the day making end panels for the nasty cheap kitchen i fitted 4 years ago before i knew better, ended up making the end panels out of a large bit of beech veneered board and the table saw definitely came in to its own today. would still save the table saw first, promptly followed by my dewalt router and cordless jigsaw....

one thing, can anyone recomend some decent ear defenders ? whats a reasonable amount of cash to spend on a pair ? i have seen them for £2 and i have seen them for £80, i was looking at a pair on teh screwfix site for about £25 that looked ok...

Karl - nice planes

Latest posts

Back