Faulty Bessey DuoKlamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertMP

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought my one and only set of Bessey clamps when Axminster had their offer a long while back - 2 1m K body clamps with 2 300mm DuoClamps.

I've been having the odd problem with one clamp slipping and now the other one is playing up too.

The first one the main problem is the little rotating button thing to switch from contract to expand turns on its own and the clamp just slips to no grip either way. Can use it once or twice before it turns and can use it by just twisting it back to where it should be.

Second one, I squeeze the trigger maybe 3 or 4 times and it moves on each squeeze.... then it decides it has had enough and will not move any more - trigger has no resistance.

Annoying, as these are the first clamps I reach for. Like the parallel movement and one handed clamping. tried taking them apart. Air line blew out what little dust there was and tried spraying with WD40. Slight improvement but not much - they still fail.

Any ideas?

I've had a couple of faulty ones too, axy replaced for me I think they must be aware. I think the replacements I received were slightly different.

First stop is Axminster customer service on 0800 371822, in the very unlikely event that you dont have any joy with them, bung me a PM with your phone number and I'll get the distributors to give you a ring.

Never occurred to me to me to try Axminster as they were purchased march 2007 . If it is a known fault then maybe the time scale is not as important. they have had only light use. I'll email them tomorrow.

I bought (well told what I wanted for a present) some 600mm ones a year ago as they were so useful. No hint of a problem with those fortunately.

Thanks for the advice.

Tempted to get more K body clamps now despite the cost. Shame no one has said the Dakota ones are as good :)

Axminster have replied.

Thank you for your email, I am sorry that you have an issue with the Bessey clamps, these have been a popular item and looking in to them we have not had any significant faults with them, as you are aware these are no longer with in the warranty period. However we are happy to inspect these for any manufacturing defects or faults from the time of manufacture,

Please return them to us with this number RT******, once we have them back we will inspect and contact you regarding the findings.

Kind regards

So no significant faults. Inspect for manufacture defects? I guess not working is a defect. Might be worth sending them back to see what happens.

Back