Faster alternative to glue & screw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HantsHog

Established Member
Reaction score
I make small decorative boxes out of recycled pallet wood that has been planed to 18 - 20mm thick, glued and screwed together. I use a Trend Snappy countersink drill bit in one cordless drill and a separate cordless drill to screw, 8 screws (6gx1.25") per box and make about 60 boxes at a time. Result is a good sturdy box.

So far this has been fine but I am now looking to speed up the construction by replacing the drill, glue & screw process.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I have considered a nailer or perhaps self countersinking screws. Will a nailer produce a sturdy construction as I currently get with my screw and glue process?

Thanks

Glue and a nail/pin to help the box stay during zthe glue dry process?

What are the boxes used for, as will a pin and glue be enough to keep it solid?

I reckon the sort of ring shank nails used to make the pallets in the first place would be strong enough - are you having fun getting them out?!

Homerjh":ajfdr5go said:
Glue and a nail/pin to help the box stay during zthe glue dry process?

What are the boxes used for, as will a pin and glue be enough to keep it solid?

They're used as insect boxes, butterflies, bees, ladybirds etc. The glue & screw is overkill but gives a good feel of quality. I'm tempted with a compressed air nailer/pinner and glue. Another option are screws that self pilot and countersink such as Ulti-mate II's.

AndyT":13xd61na said:
I reckon the sort of ring shank nails used to make the pallets in the first place would be strong enough - are you having fun getting them out?!

Stripping the pallets is actually quite easy. Decent crow bar and powered nail puller helps.

HantsHog":1dv3mixh said:
AndyT":1dv3mixh said:

Stripping the pallets is actually quite easy. Decent crow bar and powered nail puller helps.

have you seen the pallet pal designed by issy swan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuOKyGmd7BY&list=UUO39zTYpvWL5jx2q15Ma_Hw

the plans are about $3 ish if i remember correctly so not to bad and could speed up your pallet ripping. Im planning on making one soon as it does look fairly useful.

Cheers
Mark

Latest posts

Back