fascinating video about pen making in japan

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Celluloid is the stuff they make fake mother of pearl inlays with and they use it to make Guitar picks mostly.

Can't beat an old workshop like that apart from the machines I bet they have been making pens the same way since forever.

Fascinating to watch. Liked the use of the compression chucks for workholding, very quick and simple to use, ideal I guess if making lots of same sized things ?

Cheers, Paul

The chucks are collet chucks - pretty usual in metalturning and the ones in use are lever operated.

The Beall and Axminster junior chucks use a similar type of method and have constant diameter over a length of a couple of cms.

Jon

chipmunk":1hqtj2z7 said:
The chucks are collet chucks - pretty usual in metalturning and the ones in use are lever operated.

The Beall and Axminster junior chucks use a similar type of method and have constant diameter over a length of a couple of cms.

Jon

The chucks in use on the belt driven spindles look like simple wooden ones which are tapered on the outside so that the two external rings can be pulled up the taper to grip the contents of the chuck quickly and easily. A low tech and very useful home make'able alternative to the engineering types in use on the lathe proper, that I've used myself in the past.

Cheers, Paul

Thoroughly enjoyed watching that. The way he handles the tools is astounding.

Fascinating and a similar type of chuck has been around in the U.K. for a while now too. A very good friend of mine gave me a set of pinch chucks that are now well over 100 years old and I still use them. Box and bronze and they are a joy to use.

The steel adaptor on the right was needed to take the thread in the chucks to the 3/4 X 16 (?) on my Record CL1 and I had it made here in Carcassonne.

paulm":3rzn34z3 said:
chipmunk":3rzn34z3 said:

Jon

The chucks in use on the belt driven spindles look like simple wooden ones which are tapered on the outside so that the two external rings can be pulled up the taper to grip the contents of the chuck quickly and easily. A low tech and very useful home make'able alternative to the engineering types in use on the lathe proper, that I've used myself in the past.

Yes, I agree a combination of wooden ring-locked and lever operated metalworking collet chucks seem to be being used at various times. In each case it's speed of tightening and releasing which is the key aspect. The principles are pretty much the same though which was my point.

Jon

Yep, agreed Jon, amazingly efficient to use if doing batch runs of same sized components, fascinating to watch :)

Cheers, Paul

Jonzjob":1rm9w2vc said:
Fascinating and a similar type of chuck has been around in the U.K. for a while now too. A very good friend of mine gave me a set of pinch chucks that are now well over 100 years old and I still use them. Box and bronze and they are a joy to use.

The steel adaptor on the right was needed to take the thread in the chucks to the 3/4 X 16 (?) on my Record CL1 and I had it made here in Carcassonne.

A single chuck like yours has just sold on eBay - for £67! Someone else must know they are good.

Item number 281480608330.

Back