Fascinating Lacs!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok...since we are now weighing the soles of Bailey planes...I felt the time was ripe for me to introduce a thread on the more traditional of finishings. The LACS.

It all started (as is my wont)...in a field in Kent one cold but stunningly sunny morning at a bootfair when I purchased a large box of bottles and tins containing the possessions of a recently passed on restorer.

in the box were all sorts of alchemy..Button Polish...Garnet Polish...Roisins....Beeswax...and many more obscure chemicals. One bottle even had a warning label on it so I opened it in the field and (as you always do)...sniffed it. I won't be doing THAT again in a hurry...it was 80% concentrated AMMONIA!!! Boy did my eyes smart! :oops:

Anyhow...over the years I have played with all of these compounds in one way or another...on restoration projects and new finishes...and I have to say I'm no expert but some of the results have been rather pleasing.

After Graham's post on Practical Woodworking Magazine...I decided to dip my toes into other articles and one in particular caught my eye...

The Behind the Scenes Story of Shellac (and more)!

....Furniture conservator Don Williams explains the differences between shellacs and other "exudates"

Now I like new words and "exudates" is now my "word of the day"....I shall have to bring that up in conversation at the earliest opportunity and just hope that the men in white coats aren't within earshot!

But seriously...this is a fascinating subject and one I shall be exploring a tad more closely now I have watched Don's most excellent explanations.

This subject must not be allowed to fall into the mists of time as so many others have with the advent of new technologies.

I am interested in hearing from people here with similar interests and perhaps first hand experience of the old finishes......there must be a fine French polisher out there somewhere!?

Jimi

I'll just to chip in with a safety tip that was drummed into us all in chemistry lessons at school - if you are going to sniff something unknown, half fill your lungs with fresh air first, so that if it turns out to be horrible, you have plenty of air to blow out, to flush it out of your nose!

Also, I was expecting to see a link to this video - showing the production process - which is essential viewing but maybe less practical use than yours!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQcQ0yuekZ0

AndyT":2mhwntbm said:
I'll just to chip in with a safety tip that was drummed into us all in chemistry lessons at school - if you are going to sniff something unknown, half fill your lungs with fresh air first, so that if it turns out to be horrible, you have plenty of air to blow out, to flush it out of your nose!

Also, I was expecting to see a link to this video - showing the production process - which is essential viewing but maybe less practical use than yours!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQcQ0yuekZ0

Excellent tip Andy...I'll remember that next time!! There are now skull and crossbone symbols on that bottle alone...it is probably the most hazardous chemical I have now!

Great video...and yes...feel free to chip in with any others...also examples of old finishes would be great. I am a mere novice at this lark and would dearly love to learn more from an old timer...(listen to him...the boy! HA! :mrgreen: )

Jimi

I have a fair amount of experience with the Shellacs and other resins that he mentions. Broadly speaking the traditional finishes can be divided into two main categories: Oil Varnishes and Spirit Varnishes. Some resins will solve into both Oil and Spirit, others will only solve into one or the other.
The traditional Oil varnishes have all but gone and only the artists and violin makers are still using (and making) them.
Shellac (and French Polishing) is still relatively widely used. Spirit Varnishing is a little forgotten but if you are brushing on Shellac you are effectively Spirit varnishing.
There are still numerous people who take a healthy interest in all of this. You'll find the Guitar and Violinmakers (especially) truly obsessive about such coatings. Most of these finishes are simple to make but making traditional Oil varnishes can be a lengthy/dangerous affair.

I wonder if Beeswax counts as an 'exudate'? It's certainly had it's place in woodfinishing for a long time. Then there's pitch - much beloved of the maritime fraternity, which is a tree exudate, isn't it? And tar, which exuded from the rocks and was collected for many centuries, until drilling for petroleum and distilling it became fashionable.

By the way, it's probably not a good idea to discuss exudates with Alfie. The results might not be fine furniture finish grade.

Back