Fan Extractor for the Workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I was working on the workshop this weekend and now I have the 2 doors on the front and starting to form the back, I can see how dusty it will be in there. I made one cut across a sheet of ply and it took maybe 10-15mins for the dust to settle. I have the rsde1 power tool extractor so that will help a alot when the workshop is finished. But I was wondering if I should mount fan extractors to the front and back to help get rid of the fine dust? I'm talking about the 'Vent Axia' type that you may find in a bathroom. I have a twinwall window at each end that these could be mounted in.

Is this the right thing to buy? and if so, recommendations on which product to go for would be much appreciated.

WiZer - I've got the Axminster ambient air extractor like this which I run off a timer twice in the day for about 1hr each time and then again in the evening after a workshop session for about 4 hours...very good it is too - Rob

I have the Jet version which works well too

The problem with the 'Vent Axia' is they will extract the heat as well
ok in the summer but might prove expensive in the winter

Andy

I wouldn't suggest using a bathroom extractor fan for a workshop, simply because they weren't made to extract dust. Most bathroom fans are made to an IPX4 rating (protected from splashing water) which will not stop the penetration of fine dust which over time will greatly reduce the fans life.

Davy

So you would say that a filter is much better than an extractor? do you think I should fit the extractor as well? For summer use?

WiZeR":2ysgfvm1 said:
I'm talking about the 'Vent Axia' type that you may find in a bathroom. I have a twinwall window at each end that these could be mounted in. Is this the right thing to buy? and if so, recommendations on which product to go for would be much appreciated.

I think this would work, but remember that you are effectively "replacing" the air in your workshop, so any warmth/heaters/dehumidifiers you may be using, will be wasted as the air will be sucked away.

So... one option is to do as the suggestions above, get a filter which "recycles" the air - e.g. it pulls it into a unit, through a filter, and then returns it to the room "clean", or a very cheap solution is to do as you suggest. In my small workshop, I used to run the chip collected (dust extractor) in a separate unit mounted to the side, and so it vented outside the workshop, so constantly pulled fresh air through the doorway. Despite my initial concerns it would be cold, I never really found that. It was such a small workshop, it didn't really have a dramatic effect.

Finally, just a note that the air you suck out is then "spewed" out across your neighbourhood - just checking you or your neighbours don't have a window that opens right outside, and also, it may let some additional noise out.

Adam

Adam":1uh44aep said:
Finally, just a note that the air you suck out is then "spewed" out across your neighbourhood - just checking you or your neighbours don't have a window that opens right outside, and also, it may let some additional noise out.

er just the missus' car :whistle: :D

I think I may fit one as a backup plan and look into air filters

The thing to check is the amount of air either moved or fltered. I would be surprised if a bathroom fan would come close to moving enough air to make any serious inroads into dust management - a 12" fan maybe. I would opt for the filter everytime but coupled with direct DX as well.

Cheers

Tim

Collecting the dust at the machine using an efficient dust extractor is far easier than getting the dust out of the air afterwards.

Good dust extraction at the machine and a filter in the middle of the room to collect any stray dust should be plenty. Fitting the fans for summer use is an option, but check their IP rating. IP6X is dust tight, but it's very unlikely any standard bathroom extractor is suitable - IPX8 is suitable for submersion in water so would keep out even the finest dust (I'd assume) but again I wouldn't have thought bathroom fans would ever be rated that highly because it's not what their are intended for.

On the other hand, if you find some cheapo fans you might not care about replacing them as often or another option would be to fit a bit of filter material over the front of the fan to stop the dust getting into the windings.

Davy

WiZeR
I use a kitchen extractor mounted at the highest point on the end wall with a vent at floor level to achieve a cross draught. I also point the "extended" exhaust from my dust extractor at it thus ensuring all fine particles go out the workshop. Yes, it replaces warm air. Yes, I am sure it is not made for such abuse. In use fumes and dust are cleared quite quickly. The fan itself gets filthy within days - that muck could have been in my lungs. I am on my second fan, the first lasted 4 years before developing an annoying rattle.
Bob

many thanks guys. I will look into both options

WiZeR, I have my main Dust collector outside the shop in its own cubicle.
I also have a 9" ventaxia fan clearing the shop air.

On colder days when not wanting to dump all the sun warmed air (large south facing windows) I open a window adjacent to the work area a shade so that there is an airflow across the dust generation and out of the shop. I have not had an excessive heating problem this winter although in fairness it has not been a particularly cold one to date.

I too doubt that you will see any beneficial effect from a bathroom extractor whilst you are working, they are only intended to change a moist air, left on 24-7 it may clear the shop but only if there is a cross flow of air to keep the particles airborne.

thanks CHJ, my reference to a bathroom extractor was purely to get the image across of what I meant, I didnt suspect that a bathroom specific one would be the right plan of action. I will have a look at the 9" vent axia's.

WiZeR":d8kdx8rl said:
I will have a look at the 9" vent axia's.

Rather expensive, :shock: mine came as second user, gratis, and works fine after a bit of TLC.

Latest posts

Back