Fallkniven Ceramic - The Ultimate Sharpening Tool?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mqbernardo":1546v3s7 said:
ok, they were really fast answering - thought i might share. grit size for the D side is 25 microns (as you stated, it should be around 400 JIS) and sapphire is 1 (!!! - around 10 000 ? ). diamonds are mono-crystaline, like in DMT and Atoma - sounds like a good deal indeed. thanks again!

all the best,
Miguel.

I recently asked as well and got the answer the ceramic is 8 micron.

cheers

Fromey":3eujuemt said:
How flat are they?
They seem flat enough for me....the recent DMT XX thread showed initial flattening on the DMT...then coarse on the Fallkniven diamond steel gold side...(coarse)...then flip to the fine ceramic side then DMT Extra fine diamond to finish...about 1 hour...

20141003_132609.jpg

....but that iron had a surface like Dolly Parton having a kip!

Jim

mathias":gejs4814 said:
mqbernardo":gejs4814 said:
ok, they were really fast answering - thought i might share. grit size for the D side is 25 microns (as you stated, it should be around 400 JIS) and sapphire is 1 (!!! - around 10 000 ? ). diamonds are mono-crystaline, like in DMT and Atoma - sounds like a good deal indeed. thanks again!

all the best,
Miguel.

I recently asked as well and got the answer the ceramic is 8 micron.

cheers

Thanks Miguel. 8 micron on the ceramic side sounds much more accurate.

Stewie;.

60 micron; 25 micron; 8 micron; and green cutting compound on mdf would make a nice selection of honing mediums to have on hand.

Chuckle. Just re-read the description. Synthetic Sapphires. Very posh. Much nicer than common old AlOx sand paper.
Wait. What's that you say?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corundum

Oh. Alox, Corundum and Sapphire (amongst other) are the same stuff!

(the chemistry is not the whole story, of course)

BugBear

Indeed Stewie...a great arsenal for those who do woodwork

Very refreshing and helpful to others to present an empirical observation rather than one gained by the use of theory.

Thanks mate.

Jimi

This definitely sounds interesting. I've been wanting 3 stones like paul sellers EZE-lap system but too expensive... This combo stone looks more like in my ballpark., will the ceramic side become hollow with use or does it stand up to use like a diamond plate? I suppose it does not matter if it will as I sharpen with intent to develop a camber.

DennisCA":28lk5iyu said:
This definitely sounds interesting. I've been wanting 3 stones like paul sellers EZE-lap system but too expensive... This combo stone looks more like in my ballpark., will the ceramic side become hollow with use or does it stand up to use like a diamond plate? I suppose it does not matter if it will as I sharpen with intent to develop a camber.

Some joint making blades must be straight. "most" can be cambered.

BugBear

Which ones are the ones that need to be straight, I have so far only ordinary planes and chisels to sharpen so far. A rebate and router plane are planned as well.

DennisCA":3r929537 said:
Which ones are the ones that need to be straight, I have so far only ordinary planes and chisels to sharpen so far. A rebate and router plane are planned as well.

jointers, rebate, shoulder need to be dead straight. Smoothers need to be straight to the tolerance of the finest shaving you plan to take.

BugBear

iNewbie":upa2jk0t said:
Dangermouse.":upa2jk0t said:
Ahh another sharpening thread......................... YAWN

New info on this one - never heard of Fallkniven. Thanks Jimi!

No worries mate...I just wanted to put up an honest review of something I was happy with...I have to say I have been through the usual gamut of systems so to find one that meets my needs was worth sharing...

It's up to others to decide what system they want to use... :wink:

Jimi

bugbear":pas1xnqu said:
DennisCA":pas1xnqu said:

jointers, rebate, shoulder need to be dead straight. Smoothers need to be straight to the tolerance of the finest shaving you plan to take.

BugBear

I am wondering, when I said camber, is this is what you thought I meant?
http://www3.telus.net/BrentBeach/Sharpen/camber.html

I was thinking more of the angle of the bevel itself, what Paul Sellers talks about when sharpening planes and chisels. The face of the actual cutting edge shouldn't become cambered unless you'd want to make it so using said freehand methods.

Thanks for posting this Jim. I don't "need" one of these but stewie's link in Derek's thread had me curious so I've placed an order.

G S Haydon":3seantmb said:
Thanks for posting this Jim. I don't "need" one of these but stewie's link in Derek's thread had me curious so I've placed an order.

No problems mate. As far as longevity goes...it's still just as effective.

Just don't press on the diamonds..let them do the cutting as is their wont!

Jimi

I asked about "ceramic" stones on the forum before, eg the Spyderco ones and it's apparently named after the binding material. But then man made stones in general are all "ceramic" as the abrasive and a binding material is fired together. So I guess "ceramic" refers to a much harder binder.

As mentioned up thread "synthetic sapphires" sounds a lot better than plain old aluminium oxide, as in india stones!

Back