Face frames with integrated appliances

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJP

Reaction score
Hi all

Just as I was about to start a kitchen the clients decided they want framed units with inset doors instead of lay on doors. It's been a few years since I've done one and was wondering if anyone has any tips on the best way to do the doors/frames on the integrated appliances? Would you do a 600mm opening between the frame or fix the frame to the door of a 600mm unit?

Thanks in advance

Russ

Hi Russ have a look at my blog, kitchen built and fitted 2008. Scroll down to see dishwasher, fridge was done the same way only that it hinged on the side.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Paul, there will be a dishwasher and tall fridge housed in one side of a double lader unit. Do you keep your frames flush with the inside of the units?

Cheers

russ

Russ,

I take it that they are all intergrated appliances ?

With the dishwasher I would attach the frame to the door and make the O/A size 600, then leave a gap of approx 604mm to slide the D/W in.

I usually keep the frames flush.

If I were making separate faceframes for each carcase then the door & FF for the appliance would be joined together and open as one, This is how its usually done with off teh shelf FFs.

I don't like this method for one off kitchens and prefer to make one FF for each run of cabinets, in which case the door would be 596 with a 600 gap between faceframes. But the top & bottom rails would still be fixed to the door as you need the lot to open on a dishwasher

Jason

Hi Jason

I agree about the single frame for a run of units, and the dishwasher frame/door seems straight forward enough. I can seem to get my head around the fridge one though. Whatever way it's done, either by fixing the frame to the door or just the door to the fridge, will it not catch on the frame/carcass as it's opened?

Cheers

russ

RJP":ok17v6xd said:
Hi Jason

I agree about the single frame for a run of units, and the dishwasher frame/door seems straight forward enough. I can seem to get my head around the fridge one though. Whatever way it's done, either by fixing the frame to the door or just the door to the fridge, will it not catch on the frame/carcass as it's opened?

Cheers

russ

This is how I always do it. The frame is fixed to the door and the whole thing hinged on standard Blum hinges and sliders.

IMG_0216.jpg

Dishwashers can be a right pipper with face frames - I end to do them the same way.

025.jpg

Cheers
Brad

I can seem to get my head around the fridge one though. Whatever way it's done, either by fixing the frame to the door or just the door to the fridge, will it not catch on the frame/carcass as it's opened?

The face frame is no different to an adjacent door if you were using lay-on doors, so whether you have concealed hinges and a slide or direct mount doors they will not catch the FF.

Jason

Sliders usually come with the fridge but if they don't then the ones you linke to will be OK

A lot af builtin fridges are a bit narrower than the carcase inside to allow for hinges. BUT this space is usually OK for lay-on hinges, you need more room for insets if you are not hinging the FF with the door. TIP adjust the doors before fitting the appliance then clip them off, insert appliance and clip doors back on as you can't easily get to teh adjusting screws when the appliance is in place.

Best to download the fitting instructions for the fridge thats being used and see whats required

Jason

Have to confess that I've never had much success with those sliders and aligning door, appliance and carcass sufficiently that they don't bind/want to pull out. For that reason I prefer the doors that fit 100% to the door of the appliance and have no reference to the surrounding cabinets/carcasses.

Back