ezee lap craft suplies

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugo35

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all , has anyone bought any of the eze lap diamond stones for craft suplies.
website does not give alot of info.
6x2 stones are described as flat diamond stone but the 8x2 are just dianomd stone?? am a bit weary price of them looks good but is it to good????? :?

I have bought an Eze-lap, from Tilgear. They were the cheapest around, the problem is they don't have a web site :x
But give then a ring 01707 873434, ask them to send a catalogue, that will get you on their mailing list. :)

In the current leaflet from them the 8x3 diamond sharpening plates are on offer, coarse £35, medium £29.50, fine and super fine £24.95 (all plus VAT) supplied in a hide pouch. They are very heavy plates and cut very quickly, I only have one but visit the shop occasionally and another may just come home with me next time I go. :D :roll:

I can vouch for the eze lap 8x3, mine came from chronos, who from the sounds of things dont do quite as good a price as tilgear, but still cheaper than many.
The 3, 8x3 stones I have so far are all perfectly flat, and after using them for a few weeks are now broken in enough to not be as aggressive as they were new (take the opportunity to hone any blade backs that need doing while the stones are new).
Frankly moving from water stones (apart from my 8000) to the eze laps was about the best move I've ever made from a sharpening point of view.

Pat.

The quality and flatness of the Eze-lap diamond stones is good.

And as Pat already said when the stones are sparkly new the are more aggressive than after using them a few times. Flattening the back of a blade or fettling a plane sole with them grades the stones down a bit.

When not taking that opportunity the stones also grade down a bit while sharpening your edged tools. But this will cause a bit of an uneven effectiveness along the face of the stone.

Also use a light oil instead of water to lubricate the stones. For cleaning the stones a splash of water is mostly sufficient, but a more throughout cleaning is best done with (mineral) turpentine which also again acts as a good light oil for lubrication.

Another vote for the Eze-Lap 8" x 3" plates (1/4" nickel-plated steel - no plastic). Very solid and come in nice hide pouch. I have the fine and superfine grades. I use WD-40 for lube. Arguments about the pro's and cons of polycrystalline and mono-crystalline diamonds are IMO so much hot air. For all practical purposes, the Ezelap plates are generously loaded with diamonds (100%) compared to a lot of the cheap dung around, and will likely last many years of normal use.

cheers,

Ike

Back