Extractor problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironballs

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, been having a problem with my extractor tonight, when planing maple and cherry the fine shavings from the P/T keep clogging the inlet on the extractor. Consequently I spend more time unclogging than planing.

The extractor is a SIP with 100mm inlet and across the inlet is a cross shaped piece of plastic - which is where everything clogs. My plan is to cut the mother out and allow all the lovely shavings to sail past. Can anyone see why this wouldn't be a good idea?

I did the same many years ago, just make sure you don't suck up anything large as it is there to protect the fan blades.

Yeah, I've done the same thing with two different extractors bought previously from Axminster and it soon sorts it.

Apparently, the cross is there to prevent any big lumps from getting in and damaging the fan... Make sure you don't suck up any offcuts then! :D

Yep, the same as most. Removed the cross and everything was great. Attached the chip collector to a version of the dust bucket. lost a bit of volume so decided to modify the impellors of the machine by adding curved wings.

This should not be attempted without due care. each wing blade was cut carefully to retain balance and attached to the existing impellor blades with self tapping screws. Got an extra 25% airflow from this and it works great at collecting chips and dust to around 0.3 microns.

regs
Jock

It worked, thanks chaps. Less good was the extent of the woodworm revealed in the cherry board I was planing :x

Back