Extraction advice needed!!!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
engineer one":qk51tj5p said:
as usual jake we don't come from the same direction, but have the same basic view. none of the systems are perfect, and we should all try to achieve the best for our own circumstances.

let's look at what we do know.

1/ ALL dust is bad in certain accumulations
2/ all the processes we use produce some amounts of dust or chippings
3/ the best practice is to try and capture as much "waste" as possible at the place of production. whether by hand or machine work.
4/ recognise that hand work does produce less fine dust, but some of the "real woods" that we use produce dangerous by products.
5/ it is easy to get carried away by listening to the various panic pronouncements of various "so called" experts. the number of people who claim that mdf is banned in america is legion, yet every month the magazines suggest another use for it.
6/ we must laud mr pentz for bringing to the notice of every one that dust is dangerous, and that we should use our best endeavours to reduce it.
what we cannot do is take as holy writ the pronouncements of one lone voice who in recent times seems to have accepted more and more corporate sponsorship, such that his views seem less and less honest and more and more about protecting his perceived reputation.
7/ different machines need different throughput of air, and one size cannot fit all.
8/ very few machines have proper dust extraction built in. a couple that i know of that work very well are the surprising ones, many random orbit sanders, like my bosch 150, and the festo seem very effective, but most table saws, band saws and scms are blo*dy awful.
9/ take the table saw, you need one kind of air at the top of the fence, and another underneath and in the middle there is a strange vortex of air which really messes up air flow. so even in one machine it is not easy.
10/ any thing you do is better than nothing, and watching tommy walsh in the open using a stone grinder with no mask is not a relevant excuse.
11/ there are others in our lives, and they too may well be exposed to the effects of our dust production, so we need think about as much long term reduction as possible.

long winded again i know, but this subject really does get many people over the top. so we have to stand back and look more carefully at our approach and what we defend, even if the science is dubious.

a/ one size does not fit all
b/ to my understanding, almost all the filters on offer are inlet manifold filters not exhaust, and maybe the science is not all it could be there.
c/ by developing clean habits we can reduce the long term risks.
d/ we need to keep talking to each other in a polite and civil way even when we disagree.
e/ did i do the line typing right jake :lol: :twisted: :roll:

paul :wink:

Well said and summed up E1.

What i did find very disheartening was on the said American forum, which Bill resides, there was a distinct censorship of anyone who contradicted/ argued against Bill. Bill has every right to his views and as already stated, we all owe him a lot, but likewise, others must also be heard and allowed their say.

This is a very emotive subject and unfortunetly until real proper independant scientific evidence is produced by either camp, we are all at the mercy of those who wish to propagate their own views either correctly or incorrectly.

The fact remains as I've stated, ANY reasonably fine system is better then none, which ever route you take
mark

Pecker":3csm1htn said:
What i did find very disheartening was on the said American forum, which Bill resides, there was a distinct censorship of anyone who contradicted/ argued against Bill. Bill has every right to his views and as already stated, we all owe him a lot, but likewise, others must also be heard and allowed their say.

This is a very emotive subject and unfortunetly until real proper independant scientific evidence is produced by either camp, we are all at the mercy of those who wish to propagate their own views either correctly or incorrectly.
mark

Mark I felt that the Mods on the USA site let it go until legal action was about to occur then they got cold feet and pulled the post. You have got to realise that two business are at stake(Oneida and ClearVue) and feelings are running higher than on this thread. It is almost impossible to get them to agree on a level field test workshop. I have had discussions with Bill on an Australian web site and his views are fixed and a number of this results are extrapolations rather than actual builds. The price difference in the USA between a 3HP and 5HP motor is not large as it is here so go for the biggest single phase motor that you can buy is their approach. From my tests a motor of less than 2HP will not work while 3HP works fine. The impellor options in the USA are great and there are a number of suppliers.In this country you are forced to buy a dust extractor to get the impellor and now more are going to "plastic" rather than metal further limiting your choice. Its not easy to acquire the bits and pieces for a cyclone and the work involved most people will not build one.
Barry

Cumbrian sorry we have hijacked your thread as most of the comment are theory and having got the tee shirt I thought I would show you some pictures.
This is how I converted my biggest dust producer (a dust extractor) to something that will do a far better job
An extractor with the bottom bags replaced with plastic bags and dust buckets inline to reduce the dust getting to the extractor

DustExtractor.JPG

Various dust buckets
DB1Construct.JPG

DB2Construct.JPG

This did not work so I fitted filters

ExtractorwithFilters.JPG

The extractor sent too much dust to the filter so I built a cyclone and added a baffle/silencer

Cyclonebaffle.jpg

The small version for a vacuum is another story
Barry

my appologies also to the original poster as I am the one who broke rank here.

Barry, I do agree with you, though I have noticed a couple of times on that forum, that they do seem to be biased towards Bill...

It must be said though that you have an impressive setup :D Please do not think I am being difficult or confrontational here, but surely if you have had to add extra dust bins in to prevent the filter being clogged, that does seem to point to something being wrong somewhere with Bills calcs. I really am not trying to be difficult by saying that.

mark

Pecker with the cyclone do you see any dust buckets????
No the cyclone does the work but its not to Bill design - I broke the rules and it works
Barry

For vacuums there are 3 or more options and from my testing the Pentz 6" baby cyclone is not the best option - an Aussie Studie version modified by a number of people including me works best of all.
miniCyclone.JPG

This is the Pentz's version
CycloneMini.jpg

I also made a version of the dual cyclone - the Dyson theory
miniCycloneDual.JPG

Both the Pentz and the dual cyclone version tend to block if large bits of wood are involved.
The dust hoods are the most important part of the whole system and the part we spend least time on - but don't get me going on this subject - I am still trying to come up with an ideal solution. I have made all the mistakes but am slowly getting there.
Sorry again for the hijack
Dust should worry all of us
Barry

Barry, what's the black bit under the impeller housing? Have I missed a post of yours about the 6" cyclone experiments?

Cumbrian, let's get back to cutting wood. The tooling is wizzing round throwing off a mix of chips and dust.

Q1/ Can you catch it? Is it thrown towards the collection pipe? Easily contained by a hood?
Q2/ How much air (volume/sec) and at what speed, is needed to (a) catch the dust and (b) carry it down the pipe/hose?

Much of this info can be found on the HSE website as free downloadable .pdf files. By and large if you have machines that Axminster call 'trade' or bigger, the HSE figures are in the same ballpark as those of Bill Pentz. Smaller machines might produce less than half as much waste, but quite probably eject it at similar speed.

In practical terms, the high volume/low pressure extractor in my workshop here has a 6" inlet and a 6" dia. pipe as short as possible to the RAS from which it collects most of the wase. On the other hand a 3 " pipe will keep my small bandsaw clean, and 4 1/2" carries off waste from a 10" P/T.

The low volume/high pressure vac (2 motor Numatic) has a 2" inlet and works fine with portable machines and long pipe runs, and could probably cope with the small bandsaw, but would be u/s on a RAS.

There's no universal answer. The big extractor captures more of the waste and suits bigger machines or big waste producers like a P/T; but the filter bags leak some out again. The vac is limited in what it can capture, suits only smaller machines; but what does go up the pipe says inside (until you come to empty it...)

This bit's separate cos it's about Bill Penz, who says he has lung problems and that he began his search for a dust free environment so he could continue woodworking. Thus he probably errs on the safe side. Never the less his website figures for the airflow at the actual machine (and the pipe size this implies with normal impellors) are not too far from those quoted here in engineering manuals and at HSE.

There's not much doubt cyclones can remove a lot of dust, whatever their design, and so reduce the dust load on the following filters. I have no idea if Penz's design is better or worse than that of any US commercial design. It is difficult to find general engineering info on cyclone design. (please post if you know differently) When Dyson designed his first cyclone vac he had to pay a university engineering dept to sort out the cylone part, according to the tv film about the invention. If there's little published design info on cyclones, and as a technically undesigned one (Barry's) works quite well, it's quite possible Penz is right in claiming that 99% of all commercial cyclones are based on US government backed work for the cotton industry, so not specifically designed for woodworking, or fine dust. Industrially it may well be cheaper (especially in the US) to add a few horsepower than to fine tune a rule of thumb design, if the design itself is not well understood by engineers. In interpreting the US Cylone Row, remember that advertising law in the US in very different. Claims have to be true in the sense that they must be measurable, but they do not have to be measured under normal working conditions.

It's a pity we have to swan around in the dark, but until there is some independent testing, we'll never know.

Final thought for Barry's small cyclone. They say Dyson's are not too reliable - maybe you could get 2 or 3 busted ones from a friendy repairer and wire 'em up in parallel? Scientifically designed!

ivan":l3tyuauy said:
Barry, what's the black bit under the impeller housing? Have I missed a post of yours about the 6" cyclone experiments?

Ivan is is a silencer/baffle/muffler or whatever you want to call it. It takes out about 9 or 10dB. Helps to reduce the 3HP motor noise

ivan":1n25gdsf said:
The vac is limited in what it can capture, suits only smaller machines; but what does go up the pipe says inside (until you come to empty it...)

Ivan the small cyclones of mine allow up to about 50litres of dust/chips to be collected before they have to be emptied. Very very little of the dust gets through to the vacuum. Most of my testing is with a 2000W domestic vacuum but I also used Engineer One's Trend and had the same results. The version that works best does not comply with any of the Pentz's ratios but works very well in practice with the outlet pipe length being the most important criteria. Its simple to build.
Barry

Errr... is it safe to come out yet? (Peers gingerly over top of keyboard to see if dust has settled......) Didn't mean to start a sucking argument...... Just an innocent Newbie question, I thought. Sorry.....
Seriously, thanks for all the useful information. Some of those set-ups look mighty impressive, if a little space hungry.........

Right. Dust extraction's a bit of a Holy Grail, then. I can also see how it could easily become an absorbing pursuit, especially for those with an engineering type mindset. I may well end up on that slope myself, if I ever get a workshop set up, that is. Meanwhile, in search of a simple solution to meet my immediate needs (and hopefully not to be wasted as my needs change):
I've started by ordering an Airshield mask. Pity I didn't get it in time for Hallowe'en.
Next step - (takes deep breath), and based on what I've understood :-s so far:
I can take the P/T out of the equation as not producing much airborne dust, and continue to shovel the shavings into a big builders' bag. (BTW, I found the ideal tool in a shovel with a large semi-scooped head made of plastic, so it's light. I think it might be known as a grain shovel - not sure, but you can get them in places that sell stuff for equestrian types. No idea what they use them to shovel.) That leaves me with machines, and hand power tools (mainly the CS) that do produce dust. So it looks like I'm advised to go for a Camvac (or something like one of the Axminster Fine Dust Extractors?), rather than what I'm beginning to understand is more useful as a chip extractor, such as the Axminster ADE1200, which according to their catalogue has a performance rating (which looks like a useful guide) of 2 compared with the fine range at 4.

Am I on the right lines?
Am I going to encounter big problems with stepping down hoses to fit onto the hand power tools? The system needs to be easy and quick to use, or it won't get used....
Looking ahead a bit, would a Camvac or similar have the right performance characteristics to pull the waste from the P/T into a dustbin separator - when I've got room?
Finally, if I avoid MDF, do the requirements change, or would I still need the same level of filtration for say, working with the old oak I'm reclaiming, or for plywood and chipboard?

Thanks in advance.
(Returns to hiding position)
8-[

Anything less than one of these is hopeless and you will die

IMG_1655a.JPG

if think it comes fee with a ROS sander :roll:

We are having our main extraction system changed over the xmas shut down, i'll be hanging around then for any small diameter piping for the garage :lol:

at last jake you have got it in perspective :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted:

well young man sorry for the hijack, but you seem to be walking down the right path.

personally i would look at the trend 160 vacuum/ wet dry machine.
i have used it when sanding plaster, as well as when working mdf.
it is below 200 quid, and with the fine filter has good capability.

what none of them do is solve the problems when working with smaller hand tools like drills, unless you are working in an enclosed area like the booth that is used when removing dirt from a piece of metal with a
blasting gun, and even they don't contain all the rubbish.

however, a great deal of value is had by cleaning up after each operation.

given what you originally asked, there is definately something to be said for portability, and the trend also works as a normal vac, as well as a wet machine quite useful.

not using mdf will help in the medium term, but some "normal" woods are still pretty dangerous so maybe looking at the various web sites would be useful so you can where possible stay away from the dangerous ones.

another thing is how enclosed your working environment is, as has been said before if you live in the outback, then dust extraction could well be leaving both ends of the shop open.

i think that many people have a problem because they do not clean the shop up. so there is another point to consider, do you have lots of dust traps that never get cleaned except by disturbing the air.

my feeling is that many people get problems because of dust left lying from previous work not just that produced at the time.

anyway, thanks for letting us all rant :lol: :lol:

paul :wink:

Cumbrian,

I'm sorry your post got hijacked, there's too much of it going on in my opinion, but I don't know why. it's something I'm always mindful of when I reply to posts. Having been the victim of some hijacking in the past I know what it feels like.

I've tried various options in the past and reading your post I'm not sure the Axminster AD1200 is the right machine (I've nothing against Axminster) but these types of machine are known as dust circulators in the trade. there excellent at the bigger dust, ie shavings from P/t's etc but the fine dust gets blown through the filter bag, some of these bags are only filtering down to 2 microns, so after a day of using one, when you return to the workshop the next day you'll be amazed at the amount of fine dust on every conceivable surface.

Most of the what I call the oil drum type were you have an oil drum with a motor built in the removable lid are usually down to 0.5 microns, now this is hospital clean levels.

Have you looked at the Scheppach range which is similar in type to the AD1200 your looking at, but they come with a fine filter which is 0.5 microns ( the fine filter is optional) and given what machines you mention would be my choice.

Oh and they are much quieter than the drum type. I know the Axminster version of these is much quieter than the Camvac or Record versions (as they have or used to have some form of noise reduction in the hood), as I have a friend who's tried them all :roll: .

Hope this helps

FelderMan":18pu77bv said:
Cumbrian,
I know the Axminster version of these is much quieter than the Camvac or Record versions (as they have or used to have some form of noise reduction in the hood)

Hope this helps

This is one reason i just bought the festool midi. The record does the job but it's not the quietest of the bunch

Cumbrian, now that you have given some thought to dust extraction, have you considered what sort of table saw you are going to buy and if it accepts a DADO CUTTER? :twisted: :twisted: :wink:

Phil

If you are going to buy one machine for both power tools and bigger machines then the camvac type (with as many motors as you can afford) is a good compromise imho. You get enough pressure to run through small diameter pipe for the power tools, and enough throughput to stop you having to shovel up the shavings at least (and better, the more motors you can afford).

Other people's mileage will vary, I can guarantee it.

FelderMan":qjjg5q56 said:
I'm sorry your post got hijacked, there's too much of it going on in my opinion, but I don't know why. it's something I'm always mindful of when I reply to posts. Having been the victim of some hijacking in the past I know what it feels like.
Erm, this is certainly a hijack, but interesting threads are like good conversation; they wander. Just give a yell and folks generally make an effort to get back on track (I know I do, but I do sometimes need to be reminded :oops: ). Nearly always better to say something than feel resentful about it anyway. :D

Cheers, Alf

Back