Extracting Dust Out Of The Workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike.C

Established Member
Reaction score
Up to a few weeks ago, I had been away from the forum for about 18 months, and so i am not 100% sure who started the post but i think it was Adam.

As far as i remember, who ever it was wanted to exhaust the dust from their machines outside of the workshop, and so they had built a small shed to house their dust extractor.

Now i want to do the same thing but i remember that someone mentioned that there might be a problem about exhausting the air outside of the workshop but not letting the clean air back in again. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Knowing me and my memory, there is A VERY GOOD chance that i have got this wrong and that there will be no problem doing this, but i just had to check.

Can anyone see any problems with this sort of setup what so ever?

By the way i have looked for this post but i cannot find it. Of course this might not have happened, and i am living in the Twilight Zone.

Cheers

Mike

Mike

I know the post you refer to and I am also in general poor at finding stuff when searching but by some miracle I have found it although you may need to persuade Adam to relink the images:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=30760#30760

I have a setup as you describe with an ADE2200 in a built on external cupboard. I have always been suspicious about the 'return air' problem in that I don't believe its an issue unless you have the extractor on all the time and have wet towels sealing the doors and windows!

My extractor moves 2200m3/ hour. My workshop is probably 120m3. The impact of the extractor running is that it gets rid of the dust but there is no noticeable reduction in heat in the winter (and its regularly 65-70F in there with the woodburner going) and nor does it get cooler in the summer which those who state the need for a return air flow would suggest happens. Nor do I get increased suction with the door open.

What I do have is much more space in the workshop, a lot less dust esp the escaped fine stuff from the bag and its a lot quieter.

I recommend it highly.

Cheers

Tim

The only thing I can think of is where you have a non-room sealed boiler in the workshop. Then you can get problems with the boiler exhaust fumes (and potentially CO) getting sucked back in the room. Is that possibly what you are recalling?

Well done Tim, thanks for taking the time to hunt it down. I thought that it was Adam, but i was not 100% sure.

Tim,

I have found it although you may need to persuade Adam to relink the images:

Adam is there any chance of relinking the images?

Has venting your dust outside been a success now that you have lived with it for 2 years?

Cheers

Mike

How many of you have placed your dust extractor outside of your workshop, or intend to do it in the future?

Cheers

Mike

Mike.C":134olqqj said:
How many of you have placed your dust extractor outside of your workshop, or intend to do it in the future?

Cheers

Mike
You might be able to get away with it on a big property but neighbours would complain. Its best to have it seperated from the workshop as very few filters filterout the bad dust (less than 2mipcron)

My workshop is L shaped, and the extractor is outside, in a shed in the angle of the L. All the dust producing stuff is done in one arm of the L, and the cleaned air from the extractor (with cartridge filters) is fed back into the other arm. That way all the air in the workshop tends to flow towards the dusty area, keeping the other arm (relatively) clean.

Well that was the theory anyway. But now I've got a 'Rat in the clean arm (no free wall space in the other) things have gone a little less ideal. Has anyone got an all round extraction solution for their 'Rat? I find that making long E-W trenches in particular sprays dust all over the place. Maybe the posable arm thingies (as sold by CamVac IIRC) are the way to go.

Barry,

You might be able to get away with it on a big property but neighbours would complain.
It's best to have it seperated from the workshop as very few filters fiterout the bad dust (less than 2mipcron).

Barry sorry, but I did not mean to extract it outdoors. As i said above, i wanted to know if anyone else had done as Adam has, and built a purpose built shed to house the extractor.

Cheers

Mike

Mike

In case there is any confusion, while I did indeed post the link to Adam's thread, this is all mine:

Tim":3dy3n0zp said:
I have a setup as you describe with an ADE2200 in a built on external cupboard. I have always been suspicious about the 'return air' problem in that I don't believe its an issue unless you have the extractor on all the time and have wet towels sealing the doors and windows!

My extractor moves 2200m3/ hour. My workshop is probably 120m3. The impact of the extractor running is that it gets rid of the dust but there is no noticeable reduction in heat in the winter (and its regularly 65-70F in there with the woodburner going) and nor does it get cooler in the summer which those who state the need for a return air flow would suggest happens. Nor do I get increased suction with the door open.

What I do have is much more space in the workshop, a lot less dust esp the escaped fine stuff from the bag and its a lot quieter.

I recommend it highly.

Its now 18 months old and works very well.

Cheers

Tim

Back