External wall tiles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPhill

Cyber Heretic
Reaction score
Hi all, we are thinking of buying a property but there is some remedial work to be done. Most of it looks straightforward, but I do not understand the implications of the slipping external tiles. The porch seems to have slumped a little, but not having much experience of this kind of thing I cannot say whether it is mostly cosmetic or indicates more serious problems. I imagine that the tiles serve a purpose, and that purpose is not currently being served well......
cropped.JPG

We would get a survey before purchase, but I thought someone here might have an opinion which we could stir into the mix. In most ways the property would suit us well (size/layout/plot/location) and we are expecting to replace all the wooden framed windows. Some of the soffits/fascias need doing too. All within budget if nothing major surfaces.

Any and all input welcome, thanks.

Phill

I am not expert on tiling but it looks to me that a batten is no longer attached to the wall behind but the tiles are still attached to the batten, hence the slopping line. If one has failed I would assume that others could fail. The question is when and is it worth fixing now.

I am not expert on tiling but it looks to me that a batten is no longer attached to the wall behind but the tiles are still attached to the batten, hence the slopping line. If one has failed I would assume that others could fail. The question is when and is it worth fixing now.
That makes a lot of sense. I guess that I am trying to figure out why the tiles are there in the first place. If they are purely cosmetic then removing and making good seems the sensible option. The other houses in the row don't have them so my guess is that they could be cosmetic..... but why would the builders waste money on a purely cosmetic feature? They were obviously skimping on cost elsewhere - for example the low-grade wood window frames.

That makes a lot of sense. I guess that I am trying to figure out why the tiles are there in the first place. If they are purely cosmetic then removing and making good seems the sensible option. The other houses in the row don't have them so my guess is that they could be cosmetic..... but why would the builders waste money on a purely cosmetic feature? They were obviously skimping on cost elsewhere - for example the low-grade wood window frames.
A feature so that all the houses do not look the same. People then do not think they are all little boxes etc.

A feature so that all the houses do not look the same. People then do not think they are all little boxes etc.
Also quite possible that behind the tiles will be breeze blocks which are a lot cheaper to buy and lay than ordinary flettons or facing bricks. If you remove the tiles you will not have a weatherproof wall. How are the other houses finished externally?

It may also be the nails which hold the tiles that have failed. The way they have slipped looks as though they are attached to a batten that has failed, they may also be butting up to one another.

I believe nails should be galvanised but over time small amounts of tile movement due to weather will have caused corrosion.

Until the cause is clear and a proper survey done, it will not be clear whether the slipped tiles are an exception or that others are just hanging on and close to failure.

Hi all, we are thinking of buying a property but there is some remedial work to be done. Most of it looks straightforward, but I do not understand the implications of the slipping external tiles. The porch seems to have slumped a little, but not having much experience of this kind of thing I cannot say whether it is mostly cosmetic or indicates more serious problems. I imagine that the tiles serve a purpose, and that purpose is not currently being served well......
View attachment 146399

We would get a survey before purchase, but I thought someone here might have an opinion which we could stir into the mix. In most ways the property would suit us well (size/layout/plot/location) and we are expecting to replace all the wooden framed windows. Some of the soffits/fascias need doing too. All within budget if nothing major surfaces.

Any and all input welcome, thanks.

Phill
Hello,
It is quite simple, in the past the porch has slipped. To fix this the builder has removed the tiles above the porch. The builder has not replaced them correctly. With some builders this is normal practice, not replacing the copper roofing nails and using whatever he has, usually ordinary steel nails, sometimes nowadays glue. These fastenings have failed and these have dropped. Remedy is to remove tiles and refasten with the proper roofing copper nails. Beforehand check the porch is properly in place. Do it once, do it properly and you have no further issues,
Regards

To fix this the builder has removed the tiles above the porch. The builder has not replaced them correctly.
And maybe has not replaced the porch correctly; and maybe used over size tiles.....

With some builders this is normal practice

The other properties are rendered (quite an acceptable finish as far as I am concerned). I Appreciate that the tiles may be there instead of render.
It seems from the comments that this is not indicative of a serious underlying problem (not saying all is fine but no evidence for big problems). So thanks for all the contributions - I appreciate all your inputs.
If we wind up with the property I will be getting proper professionals to do a fair bit of work. They can do the tiles, or remove and render, or whatever.

Dr Phill
we had em on our house in Cheshire.......
3-4 houses were green, then blue and then brown .....when new u could choose the colour u wanted...
anyway,
the guy across the street with brown tiles asked to borrow my power washer to clean off the moss n mold...he took the colour of as well.......
it's only the sand *finish* that has the colour.....
if u get them reffited make sure they use a waterproof membrane...ours didnt until I moved in......

There are a lot of 70s build n houses near us and I have helped a friend with the odd slipped tile. Each has lugs hooked over a horizontal batten and a nail, hidden by the tile above. Behind that, some form of concrete block and a membrane. It's all pretty shoddy now, the battens are weakening, nails failing. Most houses nearby have replaced it all with either plastic, coloured concrete or (classier) cedar. It looks like a straightforward job, but it's not just decorative, it keeps wet out and I guess insulates. I would want to insulate behind any new cladding. A few have simply painted over the whole lot with some sort of gloopy stuff but it's not a good look.

The porch might have started out as small flat and felted with 2 thin steel legs. The one here may be retrofit.

The slipped tiles are not the major concern, I would be more concerned with the sloping porch, is this ground supported or a cantilever off the building?

If re-doing the tiles, use a breathable membrane between the battens and wall, its also not just a simple matter of insulating behind the tiles, air movement is essential to prevent condensation, you should get professional advice, Google external cladding, should bring up lots of manufacturers information, be wary of local builders.

The slipped tiles are not the major concern, I would be more concerned with the sloping porch, is this ground supported or a cantilever off the building?

If re-doing the tiles, use a breathable membrane between the battens and wall, its also not just a simple matter of insulating behind the tiles, air movement is essential to prevent condensation, you should get professional advice, Google external cladding, should bring up lots of manufacturers information, be wary of local builders.
The porch is cantilever from the building. All the others in the row have similar, with similarly oversize tiles.
Thanks for the advice. I think that any work will certainly be done properly; we have budgeted for that.

Latest posts

Back