External timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billybuntus

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Been covered a 100 times I know but I'm struggling.

I've got a Victorian timber door surround to make along with moulding for two bay windows.

The bay tops are to be 'fancy' with around 4.5" projection and around 6" high. I've asked before and we came up with medite tricoya.

Having just priced up an 18mm sheet at £171 I think I need to potentially reconsider. I recon I'll need two 18mm sheets and one 12mm sheet. I'm using sadolin superdec on whatever I buy.

What can I use to make up the mouldings for the bay tops? I need to shape it and bond multiple strips together to make up a half decent looking moulding. I'm very handy but not experienced enough with many timber types.

It's fully south facing and very much open to the elements. I want a material that will last and is stable. I've been bitten before with plywood de-laminating and wood shifting and can't afford to repeat this work so I'm looking for a decent material.

My local timber merchant said the local lads use external grade mdf for shop fronts but I can't imagine it lasting without it being soaked in wood preservative.

Help.

I'd ring around, im sure £171 is taking the mickey a bit
Edit- most recent quote

9mm - 61.20
12mm-71.60
15mm-93.36
18mm-105.60
Hope that helps, might give you some leveredge ;)

As above, you could probably get tricoya cheaper. I buy it from meyer timber. I would expect lathams or international timber to be similar.

If you want a fancy moulding you might like to have a look at orac mouldings which can be bought from davuka.co.uk

There are a few mouldings that are available in the flexible option. Ive used them for a curved bay fascia before and they work very well.

Bradshaw Joinery":1fx0kb28 said:
I think i persuaded you onto Tricoya before :p/

accoya should be about £2000 per cubic metre. That applies to tricoya too, including VAT. So working it back,

http://www.bsw.co.uk/tools/calculator.html

£107.16 Per sheet,

Its cheap when youve used it and can admire how good it is every day!

It was you :D I love the thought of it being so stable and machinable (is that a word?)

I couldn't find the quote I got last time and was in a state of jaw drop after the £171 quote. I'm positive it was near £115 for 18mm last time I inquired.

Thanks for the heads up everyone I'll be on the blower tommorow to sort it out. I'll post some pics of the house when I get started with the joinery. I've been on 3 months taking it back to stone, sandblasting, new sandstone cills, lintels, cast iron guttering, lime pointing etc etc. A lot of work but it's looking great.

ColeyS1":332sivrn said:
I'd ring around, im sure £171 is taking the mickey a bit
Edit- most recent quote

9mm - 61.20
12mm-71.60
15mm-93.36
18mm-105.60
Hope that helps, might give you some leveredge ;)

Out of interest who's the quote from?

RobinBHM":2th5tah1 said:
As above, you could probably get tricoya cheaper. I buy it from meyer timber. I would expect lathams or international timber to be similar.

If you want a fancy moulding you might like to have a look at orac mouldings which can be bought from davuka.co.uk

There are a few mouldings that are available in the flexible option. Ive used them for a curved bay fascia before and they work very well.

Not sure where lathams are etc but have seen a few wagons flying around. I'll give them a try.

Thanks for the heads-up on the pricing chaps. Phoned lawsons timber at gateshead and was surprised to find 18mm at £99 a sheet and 12mm at £75.

Phoned my local robbing timber merchant to ask if there had been a mixup as £171 seemed extreme pricing for 18mm and informed them of the price I'd got from lawsons and was told they also buy from lawsons and obviously don't get much discount.

I explained that I'm just joe public and would receive poor pricing also and prompted again if £171 was a mistake. I was told that was there price and there was no mistake :shock: It'll be a long time before I darken their door again! cheeky gets. Talk about a markup.

I've often thought they were expensive but they have a machine shop. Even that considered the price is ridiculous.

Latest posts

Back