External doors and building regs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody2Shoes

Impressive Member
Reaction score
Having made quite a few windows for extensions to my house, I'm about to embark on making a new front door.

The door will be a copy of an Edwardian design with the top half mostly glazed. I plan to use a plain metal threshold strip and a timber weather bar, with Aquamac 21 draught seals.

Can anyone help me be sure which aspects of the building regs I need to conform to (I will check with the BCO, but it'd be very helpful to be forewarned).

I plan to use painted Accoya and DG units. Some of the glazed sections will have arched tops - my thinking is that I'll use rectangular DG units and "plant" the arched pieces on top.

What overall U value should I be aiming for and how easy is that to achieve with just timber and DG glass? What thickness should I choose (55mm?) Any other considerations?

Thanks in advance, W2S

If you read all the regs for doors and windows, theoretically, you cant make your own.

They need to be assessed by an approved body for "U" values and "CE" marked.

Plus, Part Q of the building regs is now in force I believe, so worth taking note of that as well.

I make windows and doors and have, as yet, not been forced to prove any thing, as I principally work on Conservation and listed buildings, with the understanding the building will be no worse off.

I will be interested to hear what experiences others, as well as yourself have.

Thanks - security will be important to me regardless of building regs - by the looks of it, Part Q only applies to new-build, which this isn't. Cheers, W2S

Back