Extending Glass Top Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick W

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a glass top, extending dining table to design. I'm thinking of having leaves at the ends which will slide out on members running on heavy duty drawer runners, or maybe sliding dovetails (its OK I've done them before). However once the leaves are out, the glass then needs to move upwards to come level with the main table top.

DiningTable.jpg

Does anyone know of any off-the shelf solutions for this? Its going to be 10mm glass so a 15mm movement is enough.

Failing that, how else might I solve this problem?

I hope Jason doesn't mind me posting this link but it seems a very elegant solution to your problem as long as you are happy with a separate leaf.

Cheers

Tim

Jason,

That's very nice, I'd not seen that before. Unfortunately I can't go that way round - the extended size wouldn't go far enough.

What sort of sizes are you restricted to, mine goes from 1500 to 2000, could easily take more as the leaves open to over 1000mm to give easy access to the 800x500 extension.

Jason

Nick W":2ane9i55 said:
Yep, but that's just the same problem in reverse. :wink:

Sometimes driving in reverse is easier than in forward ;)

One benefit of dropping the main top instead of rising the leaves is that the dropping mechanism doesn't need to move along with the extension leave.

One method of dropping the main top I can think of having 4 (optionally coupled) am levers mounted in the aprons.

Nick, looking at several extending glass tables on the net, they all seem to pull out as per your sketch them have a simple cam-over arrangement to raise the glass upto the main table level. Have a look at the extenders on this site.

As Dom says Prefit are good, I got the fittings for holding the glass on my table from them as well as having the countersunk 35mm holes bored in the glass for the fittings.

Jason

Nick, my mother has a table exactly like your except it has a wooden top. The ends when pulled out are supported on cantilevered beams and the centre just drops down. I wonder if you could use something similar to the soft door closers, but vertical, to cushion the drop.
My dining table leaves are pulled out and the centre section revolves to the top and the two leaves are then moved in to make a t&g joint.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'll try to spend some time digesting it all, and playing with the options, tomorrow.

Shultzy":sbh1k2u3 said:
Nick, my mother has a table exactly like your except it has a wooden top. The ends when pulled out are supported on cantilevered beams and the centre just drops down.

Heh, mine sounds exactly like that, according to my dad, we've had it for about 35 years now.

j":25mwomss said:
Shultzy":25mwomss said:
Nick, my mother has a table exactly like your except it has a wooden top. The ends when pulled out are supported on cantilevered beams and the centre just drops down.

Heh, mine sounds exactly like that, according to my dad, we've had it for about 35 years now.

My mom's is 57 as she had it as a wedding present, still look pretty good as it spends most of its life under a tablecloth and is only bought out for "special" occasions. :D

Back