Experimental hollow form: critique please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
Mark Sanger gave a demo at our club a few months ago and showed us the little hollow forms that he does by basically making an open form and then fixing a lid into it. I thought that I'd have a go with a rustic twist. I don't like the leg, works for Bert Marsh but not for me. Be interested to know what others think of it overall. Wood is acacia and it is 3 1/2" high and 3 1/2" dia at the top. Flash photo so it doesn't show the high shine properly.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Nice curve on the form. The foot isn't quite right, play around with that and you'll find one that works for you. It's one of those tricky ones where people can tell you it's not right but can't tell you how to improve it!!!

The thing with this kind of hollow form turning (and I will point out that I don't do hollow forms so I'm no expert) is that it's kind of cheating so you need to hide the fact that the top is seperate from the base. Mark does this with beads or lines or texture or burning or a combination of the above. The problem with your one is that we can see the join so it kind of spoils the illusion.

A good job mate, but possibly not one for "rustication" or should that be "rustify-ing"......

Cheers

Richard

I think you were trying too hard Pete, instead of going with the flow.
Nothing much to add to Richards synopsis really other than to me it looks clunky whereas I expect a hollow form in these proportions to look delicate, eggshell weight in appearance and the thick top occlusion in the area of the void gives the lie to this for me.

Re: the pedestal, I guess you are after a signature form/base, sorry I can't envision any variation at the moment that would meld better with the upper form and yet project the piece as a statement. The nearest I can suggest is a slight taper as per the laburnum bowls of Franks.

Sometimes you do something and it doesn't work and you can't see why for yourself. Comments so far are revealing. Thanks both

pete

Richard Findley":28j8gzqq said:
it's kind of cheating

Only in the eye of the Turner.

It's not for me Pete, but I'm not against the idea of using a lid. I can see where you where going with it. I'd suggest try again, you could be onto something with this idea.

Pete, can find myself in the hollow form, only the leg is for me an unwished object, I understand your experiment after seeing the demonstration of Mark. Experimenting new forms is always very difficult, let it rest for a little time, untill you get the bright idea.
Ad

I too like the shape of the main form (and the rustic bark-edged hole).

For me the foot detracts from the form rather than adding to it.

Not too sure about the edge of the lid showing through the hole in the side of the form - maybe the lid should have had a natural-edged bit missing too?

As other people have already said, the whole point of Mark's idea was to disguise the join between form and lid in some way so it appears it was all hollowed out through that tiny little hole in the lid!

Still, I can understand why seeing one of Mark's demonstrations would inspire you to experiment. I saw him about a month ago, and it has certainly inspired me to much more experimentation with my own turning this month (not everything has worked, but some may have potential!)

tekno.mage

TBH Pete I don't like this piece at all :cry: I don't think the rustic log suits the shape and the hole shows the lid thickness up.
Why not make another from a 'clean' piece of wood so you can compare them?
The foot is an interesting idea and although I don't think you've got this one right,I do think its worth exploring further on this sort of shape.

JT

wizer":18s1ptu2 said:
Richard Findley":18s1ptu2 said:
it's kind of cheating

Only in the eye of the Turner.

I will just say now that I have nothing against this method of hollow form turning, in fact I rather like it as it allows the turner to use normal tools rather than expensive hollowing tools to achieve a really nice HF. Talk to someone like Cornucopia who is very much a purist when it comes to HFs and (I'm pretty sure) he'd tell you it's either cheating or not a HF at all!!

Cheers

Richard

Latest posts

Back