Exotic wood suppliers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooreToolsPlease

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all.
I'm going to be after some exotic hardwoods soon, and im wondereing where the best place to locate them are.
I'm going to be using them for turning, but I want to buy them in planks instead of spindle blanks. the reason being is that i need 32" lenghts minimum and would like to cut it into blanks myself.
THe woods im primarily after are
birds eye maple
gombeira (brazilian ebony)
purple heart
cocobolo.

I have looked through CHas's suppliers list and have found a few places,
that I will be ringing on Monday.
Also, what kind of selection does yandles have?
They seem to have very little info on their website regarding any wood working products!!

THanks

Matt

Personally I'm not sure you'll get all of them in 32in lengths other than birds eye maple (which I normally expect to see as veneer).

As stuff like this should ideally be selected in person, could you gve us a clue as to whereabouts you are? For example if you are in Yrkshire I'd suggest a visit to John Boddy's at Boroughbridge would be well worthwhile, if a bit far away if you are in Caithness or Devon.

Scrit

MooreToolsPlease":2bqs0bzw said:
...snip..
THe woods im primarily after are
birds eye maple
gombeira (brazilian ebony)
purple heart
cocobolo.
....snip..
Matt

birds eye maple, ebony, purple heart, cocobolo, were at Yandles just over a week ago, but in what thickness and widths I can't remember, worth giving them a ring. In lengths over 32"

Try Timbmet in Oxford. Not too far from you really, and likely to have some of your choices.

Barnes Branch & Co. Ltd., in High Wycombe might be worth checking out, but they're mostly into native hardwoods and the more common imports I believe. Slainte.

don't know about suppliers but just used some 6mm lamm sheets of birds eye maple at work for doors 8 by 4 sheets £250 notes :shock:

Thank you , been hanging around for a while but my first post :lol: :lol:

Hi Ragnar, Welcome to the friendliest Madhouse on the planet :D
just beware that slippery slope :twisted: :wink:

just browsing the timber merchants and only just realised ValeVeneers are almost on my doorstep ( not that my Doorstep is veneered in some expensive exotic wood) :D

Back