Excuse my ignorance....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMUK

Established Member
Reaction score
So what is the difference between a normal #4 and a #4 Bailey? Same goes for other sizes. Are the Bailey planes somehow superior?

I thought Bailey was just the name of the original designer? :?

MMUK":2a3gvf6l said:
So what is the difference between a normal #4 and a #4 Bailey? Same goes for other sizes. Are the Bailey planes somehow superior?

I thought Bailey was just the name of the original designer? :?

When people don't say "Bailey" they're just abbreviating (*)

BugBear

(*) unless you're in a conversation with American collectors
when they might just mean planes of the Bailey design made
by the Bailey company, but they're rather early, rare and valuable

A normal No.4 is a Bailey No.4 if made by Stanley. It's the way the frog is mounted. As opposed to a Bedrock plane which has a much larger frog-to-sole mating surface.

Although Stanley had several styles of Bailey plane frog mounting arrangements...
maincast.jpg

it's the last two that are commonly known as Bailey style, and are copied by many other manufacturers, including Record, Marples, WS Tools, Woden, Rapier, Turner, Falcon, Carter, and various US manufacturers.

Cheers, Vann.

Attachments

• maincast.jpg
    maincast.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 814
Going of thread but ever thought about why its called a frog? Using a wooden plane this week I took the wedge and iron out to give it a like and when I looked down on the plane where the iron was I could see the shape of a frog. I just thought to my self Billy your working to hard take a break. I was OK after that.

Latest posts

Back