Excellent glue, lousy packaging

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My last bottle is somewhere in a barn in a pig farm. At least, that's where I left it, I assume (and hope) that it;s still there, along with everything else I hold dear. I doubt it will be much use if I ever see it again, though. :(

The glubot looks excellent.
S

Eric The Viking":yud975tp said:
But neither usually go "Fthuuuuuuurp."

Much as I like Titebond, it isn't the same really.

E.

You could use an ordinary Titebond bottle, and add your own sound effects, by whatever method presents itself at the time. A good excuse for beans on toast for lunch, perhaps?

Cheshirechappie":3boasy9y said:
Eric The Viking":3boasy9y said:
E.
You could use an ordinary Titebond bottle, and add your own sound effects, by whatever method presents itself at the time.

Sorry? You mean you don't do that?

I thought everyo...

... how do you get through the day?

E.

PS: There's a certain woodworking forum in the USA that emails me occasionally with what's being discussed there (haven't had an email from them for ages, actually). Anyway, the ridiculous question suddenly struck me: how would you write up this thread? ...

... "This week on R***er Forums, Steve's been upset that his nozzle is all gummed up and Eric's been experimenting with getting glue bottles to make farting noises."

With the best will in the world, I can't see Mr. Underhill doing a feature on it, even though April 1st is just around the corner.

Sorry. I had 1/2 glass of Chiraz at dinner, and it's getting to me.

PPS: @ phil.p: Yup, that's another reason why ketchup bottles ought to be good, too.

Eric The Viking":qal9nqj5 said:
Cheshirechappie":qal9nqj5 said:
Eric The Viking":qal9nqj5 said:
E.
You could use an ordinary Titebond bottle, and add your own sound effects, by whatever method presents itself at the time.

Sorry? You mean you don't do that?

I thought everyo...

... how do you get through the day?

E.

Of course I do - spectators permitting - doesn't everyone? I haven't tried hanging upside down yet, but looking at some of my glue-ups, it might improve things.

I cannot believe I am reading a complaint about a PVA bottle that doesnt have a self closing top :?

Evostick PVA in green and blue bottles have had these annoying self closing tops for a few years now. Anyone who has used them will know that they block up after using the bottle a dozen times - they are totally useless and i cannot understand why the manufacturers would change from a simple nozzle with a hole in it that you plug with a nail or screw to some new fangled pice of rubbish that blocks up and impedes the flow of the glue so you almost cant use the bloody thing. I end up drilling right through the self close cap to keep the flow of glue going....

Matt@":jau7c1y3 said:
I cannot believe I am reading a complaint about a PVA bottle that doesn't have a self closing top...
I end up drilling right through the self close cap to keep the flow of glue going....

It's OK.

I think we're going to ask for our own section on the forum so that we don't embarrass everyone else.

. . .

Seriously (well, for a second or so), I really like the Titebond arrangement. Yes, you do have to remember to snap it closed smartish, as it does go off fast, but it certainly doesn't clog and it does seal well. And, as I said, those nozzles clean out really well, to good-as-new state.

Actually, I agree with Nick, sort-of. It all depends what you're doing. For fiddly glue-ups the Titebond bottle is too coarse, you waste glue and you can't keep it in the joint and off the surfaces. But for other things it's really good.

I do have a small, old Evo-Stik bottle I keep for small things, and sometimes even resort to a medical syringe, as that's a very easy way to control exactly how much glue you use. (usually without needle). That said...

... I had an annoying repair to do before Christmas: expecting a lot of (heavy) family visitors, I was worried about someone snapping the back of one of our spindle-backed kitchen chairs (Ercol-like, but sadly, a bit cheaper). I discovered that, although some joints were very loose, I couldn't knock the chairs apart for proper repair, as the joints that were still holding were too strong and I'd have damaged the chairs further. I think the makers used PVA, or possibly even polyurethane originally.

Anyway, the top rails were solid, leaving the seat mortices as the problem. I could drill up through the base of the seat into the voids below the tenons with a 1mm drill. Well mixed, slightly dilute PVA was injected (chairs upside down), with a very coarse hypodermic syringe, moving the joint to work the glue round, and leaving a small puddle on the surface. The puddle let me know when the joint had taken up the glue - when I could see the hole, it needed more glue injecting. Keep revisiting for about an hour, until no further soaking in. Leave overnight. Worked a treat, and pretty much invisible.

E.

Matt@":233ls2zj said:
Evostick PVA in green and blue bottles have had these annoying self closing tops for a few years now. Anyone who has used them will know that they block up after using the bottle a dozen times - they are totally useless and i cannot understand why the manufacturers would change from a simple nozzle with a hole in it that you plug with a nail or screw to some new fangled pice of rubbish that blocks up and impedes the flow of the glue so you almost cant use the bloody thing. I end up drilling right through the self close cap to keep the flow of glue going....

That's funny because I was about to say that I think the new EvoStik swivel tops are one of the best woodworking developments for many years. If you're careful they stay clear, and you can take them apart to clean them out. They are much better than the tug you have to give a Titebond or Elmers top. I love them.

Nick

If only you'd kept the nozzle off an old bottle, the chances are it might have been the same thread.

Perhaps someone has a bottle, with the old style cap, hardening at the back of a shelf somewhere?

It shows how little we think about packaging these days.

Best to avoid cold and certainly freezing for water based products. A bit of a nuisance but bad for glue, paint, polishes , etc. Have lost quite a few which were stored out of sight. Best wishes.

Back