Liquid hide glue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I have tried some titebond liquid hide glue for the first time this evening to do some veneering with. I am really impressed with it so far- very nice to work with. I am yet to see the results but it went on nicely and I didn't seem to be short on time like I always seem to be with pva. It had a nice consistency straight from the bottle at whatever temperature it is tonight- mid 20s I would guess. It spread easily with a spare piece of veneer.

One piece of veneer has slipped, I suspect (know) that was my own fault when setting up the cauls. It will allow me to try a design opportunity that I was considering anyway!

I bought it to see how well it would work for vacuum veneering. I see mixed reviews for it online for this application but it is creep free and available in reasonably sized containers. Most UF resins are in a minimum of 1kg which would take me longer than the shelf life to use up even half of it.

I don't know how liquid hide stack up in the strength stakes alongside pva but I suspect that it will be more than strong enough for what I need it for generally and certainly in the case of this little box I am doing.

+1!

Another advantage is that it sands and stains nicely, being neither too hard nor too rubbery. I used it for a library step chair which had complicated glue ups and square legs built up from two strips. It was excellent.

Thanks,

You guys are answering some questions. I've always preferred the boil-your-own variety. ..............
It It didn't matter when my workshop was outside, but my wife objects strongly to the smell now that my workshop is part of the house. No rust problems any more, but I have to be careful about annoying the management.

When I first used the Titebond liquid hide I tried out a sacrificial half-lap joint in some scrap 19mm x 38mm PAR softwood. I glued and clamped the joints and left them; a few days later I clamped one end of the joint in my bench vice and swung my svelte 90kg off the other end, the lever arm was ~300mm and I couldn't break it. I finally broke the joint open with a chisel, the joint split cleanly along the glue line. It may not make the strongest glue joint, but it's probably going to be quite sufficient for most (dry) interior joinery purposes. The open time is somewhere around 30 minutes which is quite handy, it's also quite a good gap-filler. I do seem to find myself getting in a right sticky mess with it, but it cleans off easily with a damp rag.

I'm yet to use it on a project but I have used it to rebox a couple of moulding planes and I have to say I love it so far! As others have said good open time and it takes finish well.

Matt

Back