Excalibur Scrollsaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had a call from Axminster to say the new Ex 21 and 16 have arrived and they are getting ready for display. I will be going there tomorrow, Although they will not allow any cutting on the new machine, they did have one of the guys with the Excalibur EX16 in the store, but he was asked to take it home yesterday due to lack of space. How dumn is that. The idea if people have not actually tried the saw, would be to have a 'similar model' there to cut with.

Probably some reasonaing other than space I feel, but in my opinion not a good sales thought for anyone at manager level.

Malcolm

Malcolm.

Good news, don’t forget to take your flexible friend with you. :wink:

I was looking at one of Axminster’s new stores on line yesterday, and thinking it’s a good job that there is not a store near me. If I was to visit one I would have to be hand cuffed, and my flexible friend stitched into my pocket. :roll:

All the best.

Chris.

My new Ex-21 is on the way to be delivered today. So I will keep you posted about first impresion...Can't wait to get home after work, lol.

ChrisR":25ukm6so said:
Malcolm.

I was looking at one of Axminster’s new stores on line yesterday, and thinking it’s a good job that there is not a store near me. If I was to visit one I would have to be hand cuffed, and my flexible friend stitched into my pocket. :roll:

All the best.

Chris.

Hi Chris,

you could always ask that begger fraudster that lives in Newquay to pay for it. According to the Mail today, he has been begging on the streets all around pretending to be a homeless Vet, down on his luck from the Paras, with service abroad and asking for help. He's collecting shedloads of money from sympathetic passers by. Then goes home in his big shiny Audi to his council supplied house and picks up all sorts opf benefits. A couple of real Paras should perhaps have a word in his ear down there?
Malcolm

........................Brian
ps managed to saw my thumb last night ouch! blood everywhere but serves me right trying to do one last cut with a pretty blunt blade and putting too much pressure on it then all of a sudden it cut like butter including my thumb Grrrrrrrrrrr. I usually hold the wood with my molegrips but went old school instead .

Hope its not too bad and clears up soon. Always use the grips or one of the wooden clamps
Wood Clamps r.jpg
to hold the work. Better still, stay off the hard stuff for a while.

Malcolm

Attachments

• Wood Clamps r.jpg
    Wood Clamps r.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 998
Alexam":7nfsgn3s said:
ChrisR":7nfsgn3s said:
Malcolm.

All the best.

Chris.

Hi Chris,

you could always ask that begger fraudster that lives in Newquay to pay for it. According to the Mail today, he has been begging on the streets all around pretending to be a homeless Vet, down on his luck from the Paras, with service abroad and asking for help. He's collecting shedloads of money from sympathetic passers by. Then goes home in his big shiny Audi to his council supplied house and picks up all sorts opf benefits. A couple of real Paras should perhaps have a word in his ear down there?
Malcolm

Yes, read about that man in the local newspaper. :evil:

There was a (TV) documentary some time ago about beggars in London, at the end of the day walking to the next street, and driving home in top end cars. I guess in London or any large town it is possible to stay anonymous, but a bit silly trying it on in a small town like Newquay, especially in the winter when the population is low.

Maybe I could go down the town centre on my mobility scooter, and sit there with a sign (Wife plus woodworking equipment to support). :lol:

Take care.

Chris.

PS hope the thumb heals enough for you to go and see the new saw. :wink:

Hello guys,

This review presents only my personal view and you may not agree nor share that view with me. I'm not a professional, but wouldn't consider myself as a beginner. Maybe advanced beginner, lol.

My first scroll saw was Rexon SS16SA and EX-21 is a huge upgrade for me in a nice way. I've done lot of scroll sawing on Rexon and felt that I should upgrade to something more reliable and accurate. I was thinking to buy Excalibur but money was tight and in a mean time I found this forum and topic where Malcolm was saying about new Axminster Trade scroll saws. Thanks Malcolm. So even if you may think it's not fair to compare those two I think it may help to some that wish and would like to upgrade too.

So my new Axminster EX-21 arrived yesterday. It was a huge and heavy box, but machine was well packed to avoid any damages in transit. It came with set of blades (don't know what brand as they are in a plastic bag only) and Axminster kindly put a mixed pack of Pegas blades free of charge too. There is also a spare tension lever assembly.

Scroll saw is fully build and ready to go out of box. No further assembly (except bolting it to the workbench, that I highly recommend or to a stand, that is not available yet).

The manual is not spot on and sometimes referring to features that either don't exist on this scrall saw or they are already assembled.

I got the saw into my workshop and plugged it in. You need to bolt this thing to a bench! It is also metnioned in manual that you should. It's ok with slow to mid speed, but when you speed it up, it vibrates a lot. I bolted it down and vibration has reduced a lot.

Saw is well made and runs smooth and quiet.

There are lot of safety features that are rather obstructive than helpful for me. The hold down clamp will get in the way when you try to cut small pieces and need to keep your fingers close. I've never used it before and I was ok so probably it will be taken off. I can only blame myself for any possible injuries as being incompetent or not fully focused and concentrated. I know todays nations would suit shoe maker if they trip over the shoe lace that they didn't tight up properly but this is not my case.

The blade guard on the bottom of my saw is slightly lose and as the saw runs it keeps moving to one side and touch the blade. To tighten it up properly and get the acces to screws I will havet to remove whole table.

There is also a plastic cover underneath the table holes connected to a dust port with tiny hole in the middle for a blade to get throug. When you do internal cuts and lift the arm with the blade to get through the piece of wood, you often need to lift that wood too and try to put the blade through that plastic cover. I understand it make sense to have it there if you've got your saw connected to a dust extractor. I just don't like the idea to sit there for hours with hoover or dust extractor turned on next to you.

A foot switch would make a nice addition to this saw. The one is mentioned in manual but I think this was only coppied from the original Excalibur manual and doesn't corespond with current version of saw.

Otherwise saw peformes very well and I'm 100% satisfied with mu purchase. Even that I mentioned all that above I would score it 5/5. Would I buy this saw again? Definitely yes.

Congratulations Tomas! I wish you many years of happy scrolling and to never need to service your new toy. May I ask you a favor: please update us after 3-4 months, by that time I should decide what scroll saw to buy myself :)

Valld":3szwedsj said:
Congratulations Tomas! I wish you many years of happy scrolling and to never need to service your new toy. May I ask you a favor: please update us after 3-4 months, by that time I should decide what scroll saw to buy myself :)

Thank you Valld and I will update for sure. I'm new to the forum but have found it very usefull.

Nice review Thomas I hope you have great fun with your Ex21 and look forward to your update when you have had ir working for a few weeks.

For the lesser mortals ....................., I collected my Ex16 this morning From Nuneaton and having only arrived home half an hour ago, it is presently in the car boot. A cuppa was more important. Review to follow soon.

Malcolm

Thanks tomasgursky. A good clear review, and sounds very much like my own "original" (not Axi) EX 21. Hope you enjoy it, and as Valld says, let's have an update once you've used it a bit please.

@Alexam: What? A cup of tea BEFORE you unpacked the new saw!! I'm not sure I'd have that much self-discipline. :D

Let's know how it goes please.

All the best to you both with your new toys.

AES

Congrats to you as well Malcolm! I'm even more interested in EX-16, so I have no patience for you to finish your tea :). Please tell us how it performs, noise, vibrations, blade side to side and back to back and try to finish 1 million projects in the next 4 months and update us :)

Alexam":s0d2n9aq said:
Nice review Thomas I hope you have great fun with your Ex21 and look forward to your update when you have had ir working for a few weeks.

For the lesser mortals ....................., I collected my Ex16 this morning From Nuneaton and having only arrived home half an hour ago, it is presently in the car boot. A cuppa was more important. Review to follow soon.

Malcolm

Congratulation to you too Malcolm. Let us know your views on this new toy.

Hi Guys, the tea and bickies having been consumed, old togs on and loaded with the iPad (no time for the camera at present), it's out to the car to unpack.
Review 1.jpg

Before going further, let me tell you about my visit to Axminster today. I mentioned that I had received a call from Rob at Nuneaton, to say that they have received the new scrollsaws and the one reserved for me and he was getting an Ex16 ready for the showroom. Having thanked him for his call, I said I would call on Friday morning so that he could demonstrate the machine to me, explaining all the details I may need. Upon arrival and asking to speak with Ron., I was tols that it was his day off.

Can you imagine my thoughts? I explained the reason I had come and as Ron was the scrollsaw man at Nuneaton, they persuaded Peter to help as much as he could, but it was not his area really.

It's a good job that I have been looking so intently at the Excalubur machines for so long, reading all the iunformation and watching a number of video's of tuning machines etc, the way I did with the bandsaws.

Peter was extreemly helpful and between us we eventually sorted our what I needed to know, but it was semi-blind leading semi-blind and we both learned from the meeting. Thanks Peter. Please ask Ron to keep a diary.

Back to unloading .................., it was a bit heavy, but the straps helped to carry it in and I decided to unpack slowly and carefully - as you do. As tom said for the Ex21, nicely packed with blocks of well fitting polystyrene, extra cardboard surround and plywood.

An initial word of CAUTION .... the upper arm of the machine should not be used to help lift it as damage could be caused. Lift the machine from the base under the table end and the motor end.

The machine was bolted down to plyboard with 4 bolts, which were soon undone and the new aquasition placed carefully on the latest table that I have recently fitted, so that I can be sitting down and have room for more tea and bickies
Review 4.jpg
Time to check it over.

Having looked over the machine carefully and as a result of my meeting with Peter I knew what to look for, the new 'hold down' is large and intrusive. It can be adjusted by means of a side clamp and as long as the main arm of the machine is raised, can be removed totally. However, it can be split in two, leaving a hold down that is around the blade at the rear, but not in front of it. This may be helpful for beginners to use the full clamp to start with, then remove the front section by removing the two screws seen in this next photo, or removed fully if you have confidence to work without it. There is also a safety extention below the table and in front of the blade, shown in photo 9, which can be a little awkward.
Review 5.jpg
Review 6.jpg

The blade positioning can be a little bit tricky until you get used to it. Both upper and lower holders have a grub screw opposite the handle/tightening knob (nice and easy to operate) that tightens onto the blade. The screw can be moved in or out to move the blade position sideways if needed.
GRUB SCREW.jpg

In order to help thread the blade when undertaking pierced cuts, the Ex models allow the main arm of the machine to raise and lower with one end of the blade made free. This is a considerable advantage to the normal scrollsaw and makes for a far easier and quicker job when making numerious internal cuts.
Review 8.jpg

The large knob at the rear on top of the main arm is the upper arm tensioner to adjust the blade tension slightly. Once the intiial setting has been found, this should not need altering.

The forward and back movement of the blade is carried out by lengthening or shortening the upper arm. The instruction book is very clear on how to do this but essentially it required the three bolts on the motor to be slightly loostened and while the blade is in motion slowly, turn the motor's position and watch the blade. This will get a correct vertical movement of the blade to 90 degrees and then you tighten the motor up again. Saturday afternoon and I have just done this, turning the motor whilst the blade is at it's slowest. This has made a difference not only to get the blade verticle front to back, but also to reducing the sound. It's remarkably quiet now.

Dust extraction has been well thought of and in my discussions with Peter, I commented that the system here is one idea I had thought about only a few days ago, only a littlemore refined. With a suitable extractor attached to the black tube, air is drawn from within a clear plastic lower film just under the perforated holes around the blade, sucking in fine dust.
REview 9.jpg

Not having checked this out as yet, it may get clogged if slightly larger particles were sucked in and a good idea to keep an eye on this initially. Further reports on this later.

The machine is switched on initially with the NVR switch, but from then on, the small black switch, covered with a plastic film, can be used. When working, the NVR is within reach on the Ex 16 model, but it would be furter away on the Ex21 and Ex30, so one would need to stand and stretch forward to reach the NVR switch.

Overall I am very pleased with the Axinster Ex16 Trade scrollsaw, which carries a 3 year guarantee even using it commercially. I believe it will prove to be a good investment and although I have not previously done very much scrollsaw work and then on a very old machine, this is far quieter. It has far less vibration and I did stand a pound coin on the table and adjust the speed up and down without any movement.

It is more stable to have the machine bolted down in use or at very least, clamped down. I will follow this review up in a few months time but for now, I need to develop my skills on the scrollsaw that other members have honed for years...................................... now to have a go at the Intarsia stuff!

Malcolm

Attachments

• Review 1.jpg
    Review 1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,221
  • Review 2a.jpg
    Review 2a.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 1,209
  • Review 4.jpg
    Review 4.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 1,209
  • Review 4.jpg