Excalibur Scrollsaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Claymore":1o03598l said:
If you turn it off at the mains socket then the NVR will need to be switched before using, if you just turn the saw off using the switch on the actual saw then next time it will just turn on ......using the same switch on the saw. Hope that makes sense 9-)
That's what I meant too, easy to think, hard to put in writing without chance of misinterpretation :)

I have a Dewalt radial arm saw like that. it has a switch on the top arm and a starter/NVR below, I just use the front switch.
It works this way because the switch is wired after the NVR so cannot cut out.

So......... if the switch is wired after the NVR, is it then possible to use a foot switch connected to the 'switch' after the NVR and then 'that' would not be a bother. Or am I too daft?

Alexam":1qrea8t0 said:
So......... if the switch is wired after the NVR, is it then possible to use a foot switch connected to the 'switch' after the NVR and then 'that' would not be a bother. Or am I too daft?

Generally speaking the NVR switch is used as the switch to switch the machine on and off and that is the way it should be, the NVR is connected to the mains supply either through a spur box or plug and when you press the on or start button a relay will energise and operate the relay contacts, one pair will connect the mains to the machine and another contact will keep the supply to the relay coil to keep the main contacts connected until either the off button is pressed or the mains is switched off at the plug or spur box, if you connect a switch between the NVR and the machine it would leave the NVR in an on position unless it had a no load device or such like fitted, I would imagine you could use a foot switch if a simple NVR was fitted. However IMHO the NVR is normally the correct and safe way to switch a machine on/off.

The principle of a simple NVR is that if the mains goes off suddenly and you start fiddling with the machine it will not come back on suddenly, without a NVR the mains may come back on and start the machine with your hands in the way!

On my Hegner, I wired the footswitch between the NVR and the motor, left the motor switch on permanently, and used the NVR switch to switch it on and off, as Scrimper says. If it's a momentary footswitch, it is almost like an NVR in that if the mains goes off, then when it comes back on, there's no power to the saw - unless you sat there with your foot on the switch waiting for the power to return. :) Consequently, when I swapped my motor from single speed to variable speed, I didn't bother wiring the NVR switch in. Of course, it's still possible, but highly unlikely, that I might accidentally stand on the footswitch. The NVR switch is now a much needed addition to my metal cutting bandsaw.

Have to be honest I have never found a need to have an NVR on my scroll saw, IMHO it's just about the safest machine you can use, I do have them on most other machines inc my belt/disc sander.

Latest posts

Back