Ever wished you hadn't started something?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glynne

Established Member
Reaction score
My daughter asked me some time ago if I'd make her something "artistic" as a present for her Sister-in-Law's 40th birthday.
I should know better by now but decided that I could do something out of this: -
IMG_0057.JPG

This was one of several "lumps" of wood I got from Pugh's Auctions sometime ago and whilst obviously a spalted burr, I think it is beech but it could be sycamore - hard to tell given the amount of figure. An absolute nightmare to turn given the cracks and mixture of hard and soft wood and liberal coats of sanding sealer to harden were soon replaced with proprietary wood hardener.
The end result which had to be finished mainly by hand sanding isn't too bad (as long as you don't look too closely) and is finished with several coats of danish oil. The top is ebonised african blackwood (ebonised as I didn't have a large enough piece to turn in one and the grain would be running in different directions).
IMG_0944.jpg

IMG_0946.jpg

IMG_0947.JPG

Just as well as I don't make a living out of turning as I would have starved in the time it took me to make this!

Attachments

• IMG_0057.JPG
    IMG_0057.JPG
    226.8 KB · Views: 963
  • IMG_0944.jpg
    IMG_0944.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 963
  • IMG_0946.jpg
    IMG_0946.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 963
  • IMG_0947.JPG
    IMG_0947.JPG
    230 KB · Views: 963
Right up my street so I am biased. Personally all the cracks and natural 'defects' just add to the artistic character. If I have any crticism it is that the finial could have done with being much simpler but that is a small personal thing. Love it.

Pete

Fair point Pete.
A bit of a compromise on design as I have to transport it 150 miles to daughter and the final recipient has 2 small girls who will no doubt want to see what's inside.

Well I'm glad you started it. It's a beautiful piece of timber and deserves to be on display.
I love all the defects and multiple colours etc.

Lovely bit of work

Like that a lot. Looks almost like an ancient stone artifact. I am sure the recipient will be delighted with it.

Back