Ever been had ? read this

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Debt collecters are laughable. All they can do is harrass and intimidate. If one ever turns up at your door, just tell them to leave. If they persist, you have the right to call the police. Only baliffs acting on a court order can force access into your home to recover debts.

ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Debt collectors are just private citizens like you and I and have no rights what so ever as regards entering your property.

The rules for bailiffs are a little more complicated. Normally when someone takes you to court for non payment of monies they will use the County Court. If you do not pay when ordered to do so by the County Court, the Plaintiff may apply for a warrant for the bailiffs to visit you.

A County Court Bailiff has no more right to force entry into your home than anyone else - however, they are allowed to enter through an open door or window, but they are not allowed to force entry.

If you invite the bailiff in then he can remain and insist that you either pay him in full or sign a walking possession. Once he has a walking possession signed by you, this then gives him the authority to force entry on a subsequent visit if you do not pay.

So if you ever get visited by a County Court Bailiff and you haven't signed a walking possession, don't invite him in and keep your doors and windows closed. You do not even have to open the door to him.

There are different rules for Magistrates Court Bailiffs and they are used by the police for criminal matters such as fines, non-payment of council rates, electricity & gas among others. They can force entry on a first visit.

DAMHIKT

regards

Brian

So, getting back on track here, What is the best thing to do when someone wants to pay via PayPal and collect the goods.

What should you do if for instance he pays via PayPal and then turns up to collect the goods? Would it be sufficient to ask him to sign for the goods?

Is is possible to insist that when an item is collected then it must be paid for in cash. How does this reconcile with eBay's policy of forcing you to accept PayPal? How can you insist that the person pays in cash when there is 'Pay with PayPal' splashed all over your listing?

Sorry for so many questions, it's just that I am about to list something that will have to be collected because of its size & weight so I would like to know the best words to use in my listing.

regards

Brian

brianhabby":ju8r1tn7 said:
So, getting back on track here, What is the best thing to do when someone wants to pay via PayPal and collect the goods.

What should you do if for instance he pays via PayPal and then turns up to collect the goods? Would it be sufficient to ask him to sign for the goods?

Is is possible to insist that when an item is collected then it must be paid for in cash. How does this reconcile with eBay's policy of forcing you to accept PayPal? How can you insist that the person pays in cash when there is 'Pay with PayPal' splashed all over your listing?

Sorry for so many questions, it's just that I am about to list something that will have to be collected because of its size & weight so I would like to know the best words to use in my listing.

regards

Brian

Simple - just state cash on collection. That way the buyer is protected in case of non-delivery and he can see/touch feel the goods. Downside is that they may then decide not to purchase.

When buying goods myself I never ever send off either a cheque or a bankers draft. It's either PayPal or cash on collection.

brianhabby":1gpq01ew said:
ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Debt collectors are just private citizens like you and I and have no rights what so ever as regards entering your property.

The rules for bailiffs are a little more complicated. Normally when someone takes you to court for non payment of monies they will use the County Court. If you do not pay when ordered to do so by the County Court, the Plaintiff may apply for a warrant for the bailiffs to visit you.

A County Court Bailiff has no more right to force entry into your home than anyone else - however, they are allowed to enter through an open door or window, but they are not allowed to force entry.

If you invite the bailiff in then he can remain and insist that you either pay him in full or sign a walking possession. Once he has a walking possession signed by you, this then gives him the authority to force entry on a subsequent visit if you do not pay.

So if you ever get visited by a County Court Bailiff and you haven't signed a walking possession, don't invite him in and keep your doors and windows closed. You do not even have to open the door to him.

There are different rules for Magistrates Court Bailiffs and they are used by the police for criminal matters such as fines, non-payment of council rates, electricity & gas among others. They can force entry on a first visit.

DAMHIKT

regards

Brian

You must either be an ex-bailiff or have an even dodgier past than me!

:wink:

Dan

andycktm":mjz16tyk said:
How can Pay Pal take money out of your account without your permision?
Sounds like it's Pay Pal you want to be reporting for thieft of your money!
If they have authourised it, must be their fault :?

Yes, the whole Paypal thing strikes terror into me :lol:

Someone above said persue it, but why should the UKW member have to go to all the hassle and time doing this :?: Surely it should be PayPal who do all the chasing around and God knows they should certainly provide a written answer as to why they with drew the money without the sellers permission.

I've been told today that there is a book on E-bay I've been wanting to buy it's pound 14.95 but I'm not going to buy it using PayPal I would much rather pay the $40 that Amazon want, I will sleep easier and get the book in pristine condition, and know that I'm dealing with a firm who have (so far) never let me down, that, to me, is well worth the extra cost.

Hi Blister,

It's just occurred to me, you say you had a call from this guy, then surely there is a record of the phone call and him calling you. Surely this would be enough for the police to take you seriously.

regards

Brian

It's a shame but the police don't bother with crimes
like this anymore.if you do 60 in a 50 yes but theft
no.The only option are people like watchdog
to try and shame ebay uk rep's into doing something.

It's looking increasingly like my other half has been ripped off through a paypal scam. She sold a mobile phone on ebay and after it had been paid for and sent (and duly received, with the buyer sending positive feedback to that effect) the amount was removed from her account again supposedly upon the instructions of the buyer's credit card company. Now he is refusing to reply to emails and the woman who answered the phone number he gave says she's never heard of the guy. We have the address it was sent to, there are obviously records of payments sent and subsequently recinded and we have the guy's email address - I'm going to talk to the Police about this if the money doesn't turn up soon, as it's fraud/theft. :evil:

brianhabby":1i219bor said:
Hi Blister,

It's just occurred to me, you say you had a call from this guy, then surely there is a record of the phone call and him calling you. Surely this would be enough for the police to take you seriously.

regards

Brian

Told the police I had a phone number for him and they said " we don't do phone numbers " unless its something important , like murder !!!

at that point I said makes me wonder why we are forced to pay council tax , as part of that is SUPPOSED to be for policing

If the phone was locked to a network can you contact the network operator and have the phone stopped as a stolen phone which is essentially what it is.

Cheers Mike

Blister":1hxv1tr2 said:
brianhabby":1hxv1tr2 said:
Hi Blister,

regards

Brian

Told the police I had a phone number for him and they said " we don't do phone numbers " unless its something important , like murder !!!

at that point I said makes me wonder why we are forced to pay council tax , as part of that is SUPPOSED to be for policing

Well why don't you give us his phone number? Then we can set up our computers to autodial him at random times during the night :twisted:

Vormulac":drtphk4l said:
It's looking increasingly like my other half has been ripped off through a paypal scam. She sold a mobile phone on ebay and after it had been paid for and sent (and duly received, with the buyer sending positive feedback to that effect) the amount was removed from her account again supposedly upon the instructions of the buyer's credit card company. Now he is refusing to reply to emails and the woman who answered the phone number he gave says she's never heard of the guy. We have the address it was sent to, there are obviously records of payments sent and subsequently recinded and we have the guy's email address - I'm going to talk to the Police about this if the money doesn't turn up soon, as it's fraud/theft. :evil:

Hard luck, mate. Very worrying though and to be honest why don't you right to one of the tabloids? Seems to me that the PayPal guarantee is worthless. They should be taking the risk even if the credit card was stolen etc. PayPal b**ta*ds. Doubt that the police will take any interest.

Out of interest, did you call the phone number before you sent the goods off? Just wondered if the scammer chose a number at random.

Or give us all his email address and between us all we can sign him up to about 100,000 subscription services.... :twisted:

LOL - naughty Roger! :lol:

She didn't call the number beforehand as you have to do a 'request for details' in order to get that sort of information, and she only does that to chivvy along reticent buyers as they then get an email informing them that their contact information has been requested and passed on.
I think if I don't get any luck from this guy this week then his email may appear on the internet, along with his address and as much info as can be dredged from the internet... not by me, you understand, I wouldn't do a thing like that...
I'm in London, the address it was sent to is in Sevenoaks, I bloody hate thieves and criminal scum in general, and I'm close enough and sufficiently livid about this to contemplate going and having a quiet word with whoever lives at that address.
Yes, I know that would be *really* stupid.

There is of course a possibility that the guy whose account was used is genuine and that his account was used without his consent.

Roy.

This is all very worrying...Paypal really are useless...
I had an incident myself...I was away on holiday and came back to find a load of e mails from paypal telling me they had suspected unauthorised access of my account..There were about 8 payments made to some online computer game websites...
Obviously it wasn't me because I was on holiday at the time anyway...They eventually sorted it out although their communication was absolute pants throughout what was a very stressful time as the total gone from the account was over £200...
But the thing I kept asking them and never got an answer to was how they knew that it was unauthorised use of my account before I even reported it? Is their security that dodgy?
I hate (and I know it is a strong word) the fact that so many online payments revolve around paypal...if they actually got it sorted it would be good but I feel uncomfortable using it still...
I am sorry for OP and the other chap with the phone..it really stinks..but to acho what Dan wrote...If someone is collecting or if I am collecting something then cash is the only way to go...

I had another dodgy encounter on e bay a few weeks ago...I won a dead rusty record 52 or 52 1/2 can't remember which but got it for £1.99...It was down in Christchurch so I gave my brother the contact details and he arranged and went and collected it...it had taken me about 5 messages to get the contact details out of the seller and I was not filled with much confidence especially as he was saying he wanted paying via paypal...Well he messed up the invoice anyway and tried to charge me another £13 for shipping even though I told him it was being collected..so he would either have to correct the invoice or as I finally got him to agree to accept cash on collection....
Its a shame there are such unsavoury characters out there..makes you wish there was something you could do...

So, how can you protect yourself if someone pays for something using PayPal but it has to be collected?

I'll give you an example that happened today.

I sold my old saw on eBay. I said in the listing that I would prefer cash on collection but the guy paid via PayPal - the reason, which I happen to believe on this occasion was quite genuine, was because he (the buyer) lives in Cheshire and his brother who was asked to collect the saw, lives close to me. His brother picked the saw up today and we had a good old chinwag, I'm quite sure these people are okay, but what about the next one?

I cannot insist they pay by cash because eBay force you to accept PayPal.

regards

Brian

brianhabby":2lrtw33k said:
I cannot insist they pay by cash because eBay force you to accept PayPal.

Is this a new policy?

I've paid cash on ebay purcahses before.

Cheers Mike

mr":1niga39s said:
Is this a new policy?

I've paid cash on ebay purcahses before.
It is new, you can pay with cash, but ebay will only let you sell things if you agree to take PayPal, so as a seller you cannot avoid some buyers using PayPal.

Ahhh i
CAnt see myself being a huge ebay user in future then.

Cheers Mike

Latest posts

Back