Euro Oak Veneered MDF

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassbear81

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get European oak veneered MDF in somerset or someone that delivers.

Cheers

Bassbear81":307ly7h2 said:
Does anyone know where I can get European oak veneered MDF in somerset or someone that delivers.

Cheers
I'm nowhere near somerset (live in suffolk) but I get all my veneered MDF from the local (not national chain) timber merchants - they don't stock it but get it delivered to them in a few days and cost in less than SLhardwoods once SL delivery costs are calculated in. As a plus, I give the merchant my sheet cutting list and they cut it to size (within 0.5mm) free of charge (last price for 18mm veneered American oak MDF was £50 per sheet and across 5 sheets they made over 80 cuts FOC). I've never asked for European oak but suspect they could source that.

So my advice is ask your local friendly provider - they may not be the absolute cheapest on the face of it but probably the best option.....and if you give them business they hopefully will still be around when you need them again.

Dave

Do you need a lot? Cause I noticed my local focus stock smaller sheets of it.

Ive spoken to Yandles and Devon hardwoods bur niether do it or can point me in the right direction.

I wasn't aware that you could get Euro Oak veneer. They use AWO for "normal" veneered boards IIRC.

Cheers

Karl

A few years ago we lived in the Mendips and literally lived less than a mile away from Interesting Timbers. At that time I used to be able to get a decent selection of veneered MDF from Charltons at Radstock. Wheteger they still do this I don't know as they were changing their emphasis away from tools and stuff. (when we first moved there they had a decent selection of machinery for sale).

Misterfish

As Karl says euro oak is not the usual , its all American white. It would be possible to get the boards veneered, most decent panel suppliers can have this done but its a lot more expensive.

SLH do a pippy oak which has some character and its likely to be european.

Jason

oddsocks":1eqg152r said:
I live in suffolk but I get all my veneered MDF from the local (not national chain) timber merchantsDave

Hi Dave,please could you tell me which local timber merchant you use or if there is anything similar in the East of Suffolk? I live in Saxmundham, but I work in Needham Mkt and Hadleigh, so I could get any supplies from over your way.

I recently bought a sheet of 18mm MDF from Smiths in Oulton Broad. They cut it to size for me, but when I got it home I found it was severely bowed in two directions. I'm not sure they will get anymore business from me - not that they'd worry about the tiny quantities I'd buy.

Steve

Bassbear81":3szy7juq said:
Thanks all, much helpful.

What do people normally do when they make furniture out of Euro oak?

I get mine from Devon hardwoods, and often use solid european oak alongside their oak veneered mdf (assuming awo judging by this thread) and so far they seem to match rather well

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about any differences it to too much - it's not like you're mixing oak-veneer with solid wood from totally different family of tree! :wink: Even if you bought American white oak to match, the grain patterns would still be different.

To many people; oak is just oak. :)

So, If i make a carcass out of AWO MDF and use Euro oak doors and top. Then I shouldnt notice to much?

Drop Brad a pm and ask what he used on his wardrobes that he posted a couple of days ago but I think its crown cut AWO.

Jason

I've got an offcut of 6mm mdf oak you can have as a sample. if you want I can bung it in the post, just pm me your addy. It is the stuff from devon hardwoods.

jasonB":3g6xcjb0 said:
Drop Brad a pm and ask what he used on his wardrobes that he posted a couple of days ago but I think its crown cut AWO.

Jason

Only just spotted this thread and there seem to be some misconceptions here.

All the oak veneered MDF I use is European oak! I don't know where to get AWO boards.

My boards are made by Finsa in Spain and I buy them from Able Boards in Stalybridge. I suggest you contact Finsa UK and find out your local supplier.

http://www.finsa.es/finsanatur_161007_e ... erior.html

Specify 'crown-cut' for the best grain pattern

Cheers
Brad

Latest posts

Back