eucalyptus

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Shmoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. I want to cut down a massive eucalyptus tree in my garden. Does the wood hold any value in woodworking, as it would be nice to offset the cost of removal by selling the timber?

If so, how would I go about it anyway?

Any advice would be great.

Cheers, Joe.

Hi,

In Portugal it was widely used in roof framing, usually green because it twists, splits and bends like hell while drying out.
Despite this I've seen a workbench top made out of it as well as some chairs and (cheap) furniture.
It is also common around here as turned tool handles.
I reckon its wild nature varies with the specific species.

I'm surprised that you have eucalyptus trees in the UK because they're not frost resistant.

Joe, have a search on the forum, particularly on the woodturning board. Eucalyptus has a fearsome reputation for for cracking, moving and generally being a pain in the proverbial. I would hazard a guess you'll probably be looking at giving it away - if you can. :(

As already suggested, the timber is of little value, the only chance of getting anything back is if the butt is figured which is not that uncommon, clean, and of good size.

Even then, drying the material is almost impossible. But it can be done in thinner planked section. Even if it is of a quality worth planking, is there easy access, and is there anyone local with a mobile mill. In truth the best you could hope for is someone clearing it for you and taking away or cutting the butt on site. Or you paying them to do it and waiting a few years with fingers crossed it does not check to hell.

Perhaps some sizes and check to see if there are any tell tell signs of figure in the butt. Then i can give you a better idea.

Where are you in the country? If you were anywhere close I'd have a load off you for turning as it's a big old challenge to turn but if I can get it right the movement will be special :)

MIles

Back