Escutcheon wanted

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxhunter

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know a supplier of 'insert' escutcheons? I have made a small hanging cupboard which is lockable and need an escutcheon to finish it off.

10051.jpg

The internal height should be 10mm, OR does anyone have one of these or a small conventional surface mounted escutcheon lying around? I only need one!

Posted in wrong forum. Sorry

Attachments

• 10051.jpg
    10051.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 142
Thanks Peter, I have already looked at these but at 12.7mm they are really too big for the small key which is only 8mm.

Brian

I've got an old salvaged one you can have if you want but it's 16mm overall so probably too big.

Maybe this will help - instructions on making them from a book on furniture restoration. They don't look very difficult.

F3B2E836-BB32-4646-8C22-797BF4BE848B-12243-000011B19F33417D_zps51a955b8.jpg

BD8AE4E0-61FD-4FFB-8F6B-89DD270C3FB7-12243-000011B1B5437DEC_zps1d5462d3.jpg

Hi foxhunter,

if you are unable to source the exact size you want (or don't want to pay the quantity/delivery price), I have a few spare 12mm (internal height) split escutcheons : happy to pop one in an envelope for you, no charge. PM me if you want it.

Chris

the split ones are tapering to the back and of course close up as they tighten whereas the Martin ones are parallel and a pain in the buttocks to fit snugly. The tapered ones are cheaper quality though. They can visibly improved by grinding down the front face so it is totally flat instead of looking "pressed" If you defo need 10mm (let me know) and not 12mm I may have one. Again if I do, you can have it foc

What a super forum!

Many thanks for the offers baldpate & Matt@. The 'height' of the key is 8mm so I think a 12mm escutcheon would be too big. If Matt@ can find a 10mm it would be great.

Matt@":296f371w said:
the split ones are tapering to the back and of course close up as they tighten whereas the Martin ones are parallel and a pain in the buttocks to fit snugly. The tapered ones are cheaper quality though. They can visibly improved by grinding down the front face so it is totally flat instead of looking "pressed" If you defo need 10mm (let me know) and not 12mm I may have one. Again if I do, you can have it foc

I file a small taper on the edge of the Marin solid ones and they fit a treat, I have checked cupboard but all the ones I have are bigger than the 10mm required.

sorry bad news - smallest I have is 12mm inside either a tapered or non tapered....

10mm inside is exceedingly small!

The surface mount sort would be even easier to make if you can't find anything small enough. You could do one with just a hand drill, a junior hacksaw and a few files.

Make two and you could branch out into pairs of ear rings!

Back