Erm...now what?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pooka":3q147rr8 said:
Hi Chris,

From what I was told at the time, none of the 240V DW621 routers can take a 1/2" collet. (snip)- I couldn't believe that DeWalt would bother to produce a 1/4"-only router just for Europe. (snip)It is a real shame, because it would be a great router if it were able to take a 1/2" collet.

It is probably something to do with the winding limitations for 240Volt in the package dimensions.
Given the mechanical dimensions optimised for 110v there is probably a power/torque reduction factor when rewound for 240 volt that may not stand up to proffesional 1/2" cutter use.

Chas,

You may well be right - I have forgotten what little of electrical engineering I ever knew. Intuitively however it would seem more likely that your explanation works coming the other way - I would have guessed that 220 volts having more "oomph" would need a smaller diameter motor assembly than 110 volts :?:

Of course I guess if they took advantage of this, they may have ended up with a smaller diameter shaft. What price they buy the motors from Shangahi anyway?

waterhead37":2p0gd4sp said:
I would have guessed that 220 volts having more "oomph" would need a smaller diameter motor assembly than 110 volts :?:

As the "power" is dependant upon a Volt X Amps (simplified) calc the voltage does not really come into it.
Where the voltage does come in to it is in the desired size (diameter) of the wire required to get the number of turns into the armature and deliver the current required. On the face of it you would think that the wire would be half the diameter and therefor still allow double the quantity to fit into the armature. Unfortunately it is not as simple as this as the 110 volt USA unit's mechanical design is usually optimised for 60Hz even if it is a universal motor, this in itself would require thicker wire at 230 volt than you would expect for the same power, also the mechanical strength of the wire comes into the equation when the centrifugal forces are applied.

(don't think I have said anything misleading there, perhaps Tony will put things right if I have.

As a further aside to the topic in question, can anyone confirm for me that the standard 110v transformers available on this side of the Atlantic will work with US 110v power tools?

My understanding is that they will work, but I have never tried it myself and if I ever have to, it would lead to a few less grey hairs to know in advance that my expensive power tool won't end up as a smoking lump by doing so :)

pooka":kz459myl said:
As a further aside to the topic in question, can anyone confirm for me that the standard 110v transformers available on this side of the Atlantic will work with US 110v power tools?

)

If the power tools have universal motors (brushes) then yes they will work, may have some loss of power or overheating in the tool, may not be any more noticable than comparing one brand to another.

If it is larger equipment with Induction motors then you will see a speed difference proportional to the frequency difference. USA Power is at 60 HZ UK is 50 HZ.

Back