english walnut just cut, what to do with it.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexsmith

Reaction score
Hi I have joined this forum so that I can ask a bit of advice. I've just had to take down a few big english walnut boughs. I was about to chop them up for logs and someone at work said "nooo, its more valuable as timber than logs!!" Are they right. ?
I can stick it in a shed to dry for a year or so or should I just log it and burn it...?

The biggest boughs are about 4 ft long and 8" round... I'm in Leominster , nr hereford btw
Alex

They're unlikely to become useful wood for making furniture because they'll be likely to contain a lot of reaction wood meaning there will probably be instability, i.e., any planks won out of the limbs will warp badly. The reaction wood is caused by the fact that limbs hang horizontally (or thereabouts) meaning they're stressed through resisting gravity and the growth patterns are off centre (out of balance) - that's a very simplistic definition, but it'll do here. There may be uses for carving and turning where lack of stability might even be an advantage, all depending on the intended end result.

As to the value of such pieces? Not high I'd say if you're looking for a financial return, probably about the same as firewood. But for yourself to work it up into some sort of artefact, that's down to what you might use it for. Slainte.

phil.p":1r4fv3rx said:
Try to do a deal with a local turner? It's not worth much, but you could probably exchange it for a couple of bowls or something. Better than burning it.

Thanks both of you.. My dad fiddles with small bits (little sculptures) but I like the idea of swappping it for a bowl or something.. Seems a shame to burn nice wood , though I hear what you're saying about its flaws.. Thanks
Alex

Personally when a wooden object warps a bit it can often add to its appeal. Not in furniture perhaps, but bowls and things yes. at least for me. If it were mine I'd split it doen the middle then machine and glue to make bigger things once it had dried. lots of work maybe, but then, it amuses me.

but swapping it for a bowl makes perfect sense. You get something you will like and the turner will be the same, win win.

I doubt there would be much if any of the dark heartwood in those diameter branches ?

If not then it may well be quite bland and featureless and not worth much time or effort ?

Cheers, Paul

I have turned ALOT of english walnut and as paul rightly says smaller branches do not have alot of dark heartwood (nor do larger sections) but its definately not featureless and is quickly becoming a favourite of mine. A freind (an old turner) told me it was only good for practicing turning and burning!! Any new wood turner particularly would be gratefull and as mentioned is not particularly expensive. Unlike other woods it tend to warp and not split so is a good wood to practice roughing and finishing and preparing blanks.
I would give a +1 for finding a local turner and swapping for something eg a bowl.

I dont know if the image shows very well but the bowl on the far left attatched to the chuck is english walnut, burnished and finished with bees wax and awaiting to be buffed up (hence still attatched to the chuck)

Hi Alex, Im not far from you and would be happy to swap a few pieces out for a bowl, I haven't turned walnut yet. I came to wood turning because I hated to see nice timber go on the fire.

Personally I think putting walnut on a fire, regardless the size of the logs should be punishable by death! Please give it to a turner, he'll be a friend for life. If not an individual then find your nearest wood turning club and call their secretary.

Latest posts

Back