End grain beads

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikkiC

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been woodturning as a hobby for 4 months now. I have one question which has been bugging me. Which is the preferred tool for cutting beads on the end grain? I'm making some little boxes and I'm finding it time consuming decorating the flat top of the lids with beads. I've currently resorted to a pear drop shaped scraper. I've tried using a gouge, but I can only manage to catch it terribly, because it's cutting into the grain. I have no problem turning beads on a spindle or on the side of the box with a gouge. Any advice appreciated!

Nikki

Nikki, try something like a 1/2" (13MM) FLAT Skew.

Use the point, narrow edge down on the rest, to form two initial grooves.

Then lay Skew on its side, (1/2" face down) and with point gently form the bead between the grooves. (Scraping really but if used with care and very light touch you can get away with not tearing the grain.)

Make sure that the point of contact that is cutting has support on the rest vertically below it so that there is no tendency for the tool to twist.

I don't know if this is the 'official way' but it has worked for me from early days., this example is not true endgrain but I use the same method whatever.

CHJ":y4o6tj7s said:
Use the point, narrow edge down on the rest, to form two initial grooves.

Then lay Skew on its side..

This is what I've tried, but wondered whether there was a more "elegant" solution.

Nikki

Russell":1kdva7vt said:
I use a 1/4 spindle gouge with a finger nail profile

This is what I use for spindle work. But the technique used for spindle turning cannot be directly tranferred to the end of the grain. What technique do you use? I can only imagine that the gouge would have to start from inside the groove and work upwards, climbing uphill, as opposed to downhill in spindle turning. Does this sound crazy?

Nikki

I use the point of the finger nail to cut the end grain. Not really thought how I do it it just works for me. Without putting a peice of wood in the lathe and working through the cuts . I have the gouge on its side use the point to cut pulling the handle round in an arc. It doesn't work without a fingernail grind.

Russell,

I had a quick go on a piece of pine. I can see this is possible, but the gouge has to be placed as close as possible to the centerline otherwise the tip tends to pull to the left or right depending on whether it is higher or lower. I also have to grip from both sides tightly to feel for that pull. And the length of the gouge has to be almost parallel to the axis. I'll practice and see how far I get!

Nikki

Latest posts

Back